Saskatraz....any feedback?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Saskatraz....any feedback?

I was in need of a queen the other day and after asking around I found a Saskatraz at Lappe's. I was looking for a Carniolan since this is what the wife wanted. After reading a bit about the Saskatraz she asked to try one.

I understand they are relatively new. Any feedback from anyone?
    4a

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Saskatraz....any feedback?

I got some late in our main flow. Not normally in time to really build up without feed. We've gotten an excessive amount of rain in the past 3 weeks (over 12") and the white clover is still blooming. They are building up well. Wall to wall brood patterns.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Checked my 3saskatraz today. They are looking really good. Slab brood.

what the heck is a saskatraz? bred on Alcatraz?
    Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    what the heck is a saskatraz? bred on Alcatraz?

Canada, similar to a Carni with some VSH qualities........supposedly
    4a

http://www.saskatraz.com/

The apiary where the breeding originally took place was in SASKatchewan and was isolated like alcATRAZ hence Saskatraz....
    Ottawa. ON

I got some to try the breed on April 22, 17 although they are very fast to grow the hive with two deeps and a medium full of bees. They have yet to bring in any approachable honey stores. My Italian, as well as my Pennsylvania survivor mutts are on their second super full of honey. As far as I am concerned the jury is still out. However, my experience tells me that if this many bees cannot find nectar then they are too high maintenance for me. I will certainly give them ample time to prove themselves. But at this stage I am doubtful. I will offer a better assessment next year at this time,

Tenbears, are these the hybrid saskatraz?

Yes, the queens are pure but offspring are hybrid. At $500,00 For a closed mated breeder queen starting an apiary with them would be rather expensive. If the hybrids work out though, I will buy a couple to raise hybrids queens.

It shouldn't be hard, or at least I'm going to approach it that way, to set up drone saturation colonies around my queen mating area next year and somewhat "control" my mating here. I will use the Saskatraz queens as drone mothers. I have spots picked out from 3/8-3/4 mile to put the hives in a circle around my home yard. I hope to get rid of the Italian influence of the purchased Saskatraz queens and incoorporate the Sak genes into "my" queen line.

One thing I can add about the Sak bees is that they are very docile so far, while viewing from outside the hive. One overly strong nuc was pretty testy when I inspected it this past weekend, but they are swarming strength right now. I'm going to break them down this weekend.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    from The Saskatraz hybrid project 2015 :
    "Colonies are treated for varroa about 30 days prior to introducing Saskatraz queens. Treatments in 2015 were in August with Apivar strips. "

whops, this is not TF forum...

interesting though...

"In summary, this study employed a genome-wide DNA microarray to analyse differential gene expression at two different developmental stages of varroa-tolerant and
    varroa-susceptible honey bee colony phenotypes selected from a Canadian breeding programme. Comparison of the microarray expression profiles revealed that nearly 300 genes were differentially expressed between the two extreme bee colonies in response to mite infestation. More differentially expressed genes were found at the pupa stage than at the adult stage, indicating that pupae are more responsive to varroa parasitism than adult bees. More differentially expressed genes were identified when comparing colonies than when comparing responses to mite infestation, regardless of the developmental stage. According to their molecular functions, the differentially expressed genes are classified into groups that are involved in olfactory signal transduction, detoxification processes, and protein and lipid metabolism as well as exoskeleton formation, implying that these processes may be critically involved in the defensive mechanisms of honey bees against varroa mite parasitism."

Anyone else have any feed back on the saskatraz stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Huestis View Post
    Anyone else have any feed back on the saskatraz stock?
    If I'm not mistaken member Ian has worked with them. Brought a bunch into his operation.
    Mike Palmer has/had some as well.
    Last edited by clyderoad; 11-15-2017 at 08:41 PM. Reason: add info

Heard some people love the hybrids they're getting from Olivarez, but I thought there were some mumbling on beesource or maybe some of the FB groups they weren't performing well this year or as expected. I was hoping to try some but guy never got back to me. Tenbears, didn't know anyone was offering breeders, where'd you hear that from?

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Tenbears, didn't know anyone was offering breeders, where'd you hear that from?
    Can't say for sure, but this is the likely source:

http://www.saskatraz.com/pages/availability.htm

I'm very interested in the project, but have not tried any of these queens. I contacted Albert J. Robertson in the winter of 2016, but never got a reply.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

I had the hybrids. Their daughters had very good hygienic behaviour. Most of my bees are derived from this stock and seem to be performing better with each generation. Some have problems with chalkbrood. But I am gradually requeening the problem queens. I have several granddaughters going into winter with nice clusters their second year tf. I'm kinda optimistic that I'll have several good 2 winter survivors to make queens from next year.

So how are their temperament? I've read here that they are a
    bit testy to keep?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    If I'm not mistaken member ....Mike Palmer has/had some as well.
    I received 25 from Albert Robertson...the developer in Saskatchewan. Got them late in the season, so we requeened production colonies with them. Too late in the season to evaluate their performance. Will know more come May.

MP how did there winter population shape up?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    I received 25 from Albert Robertson...the developer in Saskatchewan. Got them late in the season, so we requeened production colonies with them. Too late in the season to evaluate their performance. Will know more come May.
    Mike, It is my understanding that these were bred for pollinating? Any word on that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast