Where and how to store drawn comb - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Where and how to store drawn comb

I'm struggling storing mine as well. I have 30 boxes at this point and not sure how to handle it. What I have been doing is putting 3 boxes in the freezer at a time for 24 hours, take them out and just leave them open air in my garage. I will just continue rotating all 30 until we get freezing weather then move under the lean to with a top cover and let it freeze through winter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Research BT. Spray it on and you’re done with wax moths.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Other than wax moths, what other pests need taken into consideration?
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

I check once a week, i have empty comb, dry, empty comb extracted, brood comb with honey domes from deadouts, capped honey frames for feeding, frames with honey filled starter stripes from cutting out comb.
    The wax moth used no dry comb so far.
    Whenever I see eggs or web I put the frame in my freezer which holds 6 frames. Take out after 24 hours and store again. Holds this at bay.
    I have a bait sticky paper with pheromones which baits other moths, which also use comb sometimes.
    In winter if there is frost I put the combs into boxes and on the outdoors and back.

I plan to make a bait trap for them next year using old pollen brood comb pieces. Check every day and feed the larva to my chicken. These I could use as swarm bait too.
    Much work, but it´s ok with + -12 hives.

If bees have access to honey wet comb, it spreads AFB and EFB if there is any. I never move combs between my bee yards. Mark them, store them separately.

I find that the bees clean the frames very well hanging on the racks/shelving.
    We pulled a few out of swarm traps yesterday that had some wax mouth damage and the bees were checking them out right away.
    This also helps me know how many new frames I need to assemble over winter.
    Zone 6b 1400'

I store mine out in the open all year long. All drawn frames sit on two 8 foot two by 4s nailed across two saw horses. There's plenty of air movement and indirect sunlight where they sit in a shed with no walls. I space the frames so they are about 3/4 inch apart and have only had light wax moth damage once when two frames got pushed together and left together. If theres pollen in a frame from a dead out I set the frame in a tilted up super and let the mice get rid of it. They only eat the pollen and take the comb down to the midrib which the bees rebuild. I also use this set up for letting bees rob frames from dead outs or wet frames from extracting with no issues. I don't worry about mice or wax moths but I did have a skunk come through and destroy 30 frames of drawn comb. Skunks and racoons are the only nuisances to me but if there's no honey or pollen left in frames they tend to leave them alone. No chemicals needed And the bees have no problem cleaning them and fixing them when I put them into a hive later.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Rwu, what is the weather like in your area?
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

I wonder why nobody uses sulfer strips to fumagate their empty comb much anymore? It seems like it would be a pretty easy solution for those that don't really have freezer space. I am guessing that the reason is because BT is even easier and gives no toxic fumes. I read on bee scorce where they have all thier helpful articals of how to use it but never see it mentioned any more.
    Just curious
    gww
    zone 5b

The weather here is typically very dry, fairly hot in the summer 100+ F, fairly cold in the winter -15 F. We've had some freezes but we haven't turned into an ice box yet, it typically snows by Halloween.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Spray with BT and store them in their boxes. Easy and effective.
    SNL knows - this works for me too. Use Xentari - you can order from Amazon. Enough comes in one pouch to treat a whole bee club's super frames. Spray through a garden sprayer on both side of your frames.

BT users how dry do you have to get the frames after spraying usally by the time I get supers off its getting cold and not many real hot sunny days to get the solution to air dry so they dont get mold on them .I do store my supers on a vented 2x4 stand with screened holes for air circulation but there stored inside a heated pole barn now as I had a bear enter my open lean- to this spring and he got a couple supers and made a mess .

We have a chest freezer just for the bees, it cools to -10f. It holds around 50 or so frames (have not counted) I freeze them, then either place back in the hive boxes, stacked up with the top having a piece of door screen over it. Keeps any new wax moths from arriving.

Or I put them in some clear containers picked up at walmart, they hold 16 medium frames. Again place door screen over the top. Keeps them from molding up. We can have a humid warm winter, cold freezing winter. I keep the frames in a room in our basement.

I have managed to get a good amount of drawn super comb doing this for the past three years. And some extra brood comb.

Have never had wax moth issues taking care of the frames this way.

I have used BT for brood comb in a swarm trap, the moths did not damage it.

If used on the super combs, I would need to make sure they really dried we do get mold on anything left damp.
    Last edited by missybee; 10-26-2017 at 07:51 AM. Reason: made a opps in typing
    Zone 6b: 27 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    BT users how dry do you have to get the frames after spraying usally by the time I get supers off its getting cold and not many real hot sunny days to get the solution to air dry so they dont get mold on them
    You're only lightly misting them........... they dry quickly...........
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

I don't dry the frames. I put the extracted, empty frames back in the boxes wet with both honey and BT; stack the boxes in rows and cover the stacks with upside down telescoping hive covers in an outside, unheated barn. These are stacked right on the floor, no ventilation at all, don't want rodents in the boxes either. Never had a problem with mold. Gets plenty cold here in winter so maybe that's why never had a problem with mold. Sometimes moths still do a very little damage on a few frames before dying from BT, but nothing the bees can't clean up and fix in minimal time. No destroyed frames like I had before using the BT. I store over 1000 frames every winter. The bees jump all over the wet frames in the spring and fill them back up. I wouldn't want to dry them out. The honey does ferment here and there a little with the additional moisture from the BT, the bees don't care.

I don't spray BT on anything extracted after late October; those just get stacked wet with honey and covered in unheated barn. The cold nights take care of the moths/larvae/eggs by that time. I sometimes remove the covers from the stacked boxes in late winter to air them out a little before putting them back on the hives in spring.

As the number of frames I need to store increases, I've had to look beyond the freezer. So this year I built a rack that should be able to hold at least 100 frames (more if I decrease space between frames).

I spritz them with Bt and leave some air space between them. So far so good. If this proves effective, I'll probably just build more racks as needed.

171014_Frame_Storage_Rack.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Arthur View Post
    As the number of frames I need to store increases, I've had to look beyond the freezer. So this year I built a rack that should be able to hold at least 100 frames (more if I decrease space between frames).

I spritz them with Bt and leave some air space between them. So far so good. If this proves effective, I'll probably just build more racks as needed.

171014_Frame_Storage_Rack.jpg

What keeps the bees from damaging the comb? Any frames I have left outside for more than a few hours gets chewed ragged by the bees. Even if there is no honey in them.
    Zone 6b: 27 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

I use the same frame cardboard boxes coming from the seller when I
    order my frames. After mixing the essential oil in melted wax the frames go inside
    these boxes and then tightly sealed with packaging tapes. Of course I have to freeze the
    frames that got wax moths larvae damaged in them first. So far so good with only one damaged
    drawn frame. The clean new drawn frames without any pollen can be stored outside without using any box or essential wax oil.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by missybee View Post
    What keeps the bees from damaging the comb? Any frames I have left outside for more than a few hours gets chewed ragged by the bees. Even if there is no honey in them.
    Yeah, they do chew up the comb anywhere there's some leftover honey/nectar, but the damage is pretty easy for them to repair next year and isn't as bad as having a slime-out or wax moth infestation. When that happens the comb is a total loss for me, so a little bee/wasp chewing is okay in my book.

Also, I just noticed this is the treatment free forum, so I'll say this...while I do still use Bt as a precaution, I suspect that if this open storage proves effective, I'll be able to do it without the Bt.

i just brought in a couple of swarm traps have been set out since last april/may. they had a few frames of empty brood comb in them for 'bait', and this is the one circumstance for which i use bt.

the bt i have was purchased from a member (sundance i think) here on beesource several years ago. i've kept it in the freezer all along and have only used a little bit of it. i use a heaping half teaspoon per quart of water.

so after 5 - 6 months in the swarm traps the bt appears to have been effective as there is no wax moth damage on any of the brood combs.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Spray with BT and store them in their boxes. Easy and effective.
    What is BT?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast