New Huge OH! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Huge OH!

Default Re: New Huge OH!

Yes, it's important in the case of the designs MB is discussing. DM1's design is based on an entirely different set of parameters. He mentions up in the post that he knows they'll likely comb it up in spots and is OK with that. I'm looking forward to seeing it built out. it might look cleaner than we think in the end.
    If you're looking at 2 parallel pieces of glass with one or two frames depth between, follow MB's advice. One OH I tend at a local nature center is loaded with comb on the front glass because too much space was left. I suggested adjustment a couple of years ago but my contact there really likes the look so we left it. My others are clean. I like being able to see the whole thing clearly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by captain776 View Post
    That is why I asked for Lessons Learned so if there is an issue others have had, I can address it before building.
    I read this on Michaels Bush's site as well prior to building. If you are building an OH that is structured like most (only one frame thick with frames either above/below or to each side,) this bee space will be crucial. You will want to dial that in so that you can easily remove frames and will have diminished chances of burr come which would obstruct your view and make inspections difficult.

This style of OH that I made ignores bee space outside of the 4 center frames. It is intended to allow the bees to draw comb as they please. Because it was ignored eventually the hive will be impossible to inspect and access. It may also inhibit the view at some point. That being said this was expected and was the goal.

So it all depends on the style of OH you are building. I have seen people build the fish tank / aquarium hives. Those designs also must be made to utilize the correct bee space. Consider what type you would like, what you want to get out of the OH and how often you can inspect it. I am under the impression smaller 3 deep frame OHs will require you to have other hives with the same frame dimensions so that you can exchange frames frequently to prevent overcrowding.

Great.......thanks and the best to you n the girls

The bees have begun drawing comb. The cover I had on it was not thick enough and let some light through. This cause them to walk more on one side and they dirtied up the glass so we went into the hive today and cleaned it with a xacto knife. We were able to simply lift the top off and set on a rest. Here are a few pics.
    DSC_0037.jpg

IMG_9574.jpg

IMG_9584.jpg

IMG_9585.jpg

IMG_9586.jpg

Where's the Like Button?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12