I did the Sugar Shake mite test and... Help! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: I did the Sugar Shake mite test and... Help!

Update: I did a hive inspection today and it seems I lost the queen in my weakest hive. But they have some queen cells ready and I'll keep an eye on it. I also did a sugar test on the hive that was 12 pre MAQS. Their count today was 4. Yay for major reduction! I'll do the other 2 at the next inspections.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Did you use a full dose or half on the hive that lost the queen?

You could run a half dose of MAQs to knock the mites back followed by another half dose 7 days later if your up against temperature issues. The lower dose can knock the mites back and would be a little easier on the bees given the short temp window you have to work with. The replacement for MAQs, which is Formic Pro has a 14 day treatment timeline and will be a little easier on the bees., but still has the same temperature limits as MAQs.

Rich
    www.capitalbeesupply.com
    Manufacturers and Purveyors of Fine Beekeeping Equipment

I did a full dose on each hive. The other two are doing great (one is a bit more cranky than usual, but they still have a laying queen) and are filling the honey supers. The temperatures for that week were pretty ideal, so I doubt it was a temperature issue. The hive hadn't been all that strong to begin with, so I'm not surprised I lost the queen. But I should have tried a half dose.

Now, how often can/should I do MAQS? Could I do a half dose/full dose again in early fall to knock out more mites before the winter?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12