Looking to buy a extractor that's 300 or under any thoughts would be great

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Looking for a four or a two frame extractor what to get

I also have five hives rite now plan on adding a couple more next year

http://www.maxantindustries.com/extractors.html

You can start with the 2 frame version and upgrade to the 9 frame basket later if you want. The 2 frame is a radial basket so it will extract 4 sides at one time. Watch the video and Jake will explain the complete line.

Go halvsies with someone you trust and can generate an agreeable exit plan. Then buy a motorized 6-frame extractor.

That said, we found our club's Maxant 3100H-2 (radial) to be all we needed for this season. It has a 6-frame basket, also, but our uncapping speed was the rate-limiter. Its pulley/belt drive looks more durable than the right-angle drive on my daughter's 2-frame tangential from China. I found the vertical axis drive not to be a bother on the Maxant, but we didn't have many frames to do.
    "I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong." (heard often from the late David Sebree) Still making them, myself

Do you plan on eventually upgrading?

If so, buy something to just get you by on until you want exactly what you want.

I bought a 4 frame tangential from Amazon for 100 dollars. Hook my corded drill up to it and sling honey quick.

When i need a 2000 dollar extractor ill do it, but for now i will manage.

Pick your poison:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=i...nid=6461714011

Posted this last year.

Lyson 4 frame extractor.
    Had been looking for an extractor for several months and after looking at many types, sizes, companies, and reading discussions on the beesourse forum I choose a Lyson extractor. The model I choose was LEX2019N, a manual four frame extractor from Better Bee. Better Bee and another company both offered the same model for a cost of $279.00 which included the legs and a 2 year warranty. Better Bee’s shipping cost was $20.00 less and the service was great.

I ordered the machine at 2PM and before 5PM FedEx had picked it up and I received it 3 day later. The only assembly required is screwing one bolt through the handle to the crank and three bolts and nuts to attach the legs to the extractor. Took less than 20 minutes after removing it from the box to having it ready to operate. Used it this week and on the second day (first time we were a bit slower) removed the supers just after 9AM, extracted 16 frames, replaced the supers on the hive, and cleaned our equipment and were done with that hive by 11AM!

Very please with how easy it is to use, very simple, and quick. This was my first time dealing with Better Bee and very impressed with their customer service. I had one question and emailed them about 8PM and received a reply by 9AM the next morning.

The Lyson four frame LEX2019N and the Maxant 2FR 3100-2 are the two I'm mainly picking between the maxant is about 80$ more once you buy the legs I like the lyson being a four frame though I have 4 hives but plan on adding a couple next year I just want a good quality product

Buy American!
    Happy 4TH!
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Maxant gives you much more flexibility. In a few years you can buy the 9 frame basket ($200) and then if you expand even further you can upgrade it with a motor ($400). The 9 frame Maxant basket is 6 frames radially while the lyson is always tangentially so the 9 frame maxant basket processes medium frames ~4x faster than the 4 frame lyson. If you do a lot of deep frames, the lyson may be a better option for you because the maxant 3100H-2 can't do ANY deep frames and the upgraded "9-frame" basket can only do 3 deep frames at a time (versus lyson's 2 deep frames).

For an $80 difference, if you're ok with only doing medium frames initially I'd go with the Maxant. You're paying for a better quality piece of equipment and the ability to upgrade substantially in the future.

How's the saying go...buy once, cry once.

Quote Originally Posted by Khines View Post
    The Lyson four frame LEX2019N and the Maxant 2FR 3100-2 are the two I'm mainly picking between the maxant is about 80$ more once you buy the legs I like the lyson being a four frame though I have 4 hives but plan on adding a couple next year I just want a good quality product

I got this 2 years ago and although not top of the line it works fine. it is NOT a tangial like described above so I have to spin and then flip the frames and spin again. for the 2 days of the year I use it i'm happy. I run solo so as its spinning I am decapping.

https://www.amazon.com/Tek-Motion-St...rame+extractor
    Terrence

You mean it is tangential...it is not radial. Tangential=flip, radial=no flip.

One thing to note about that Amazon extractor is that being it 201 steel and not 304 or 316, make sure you dry it out real well after you're done, especially at the seam on the bottom. 201 steels have a higher tendency to rusting as they have about half as much nickel as more expensive 316 steel.

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    I got this 2 years ago and although not top of the line it works fine. it is NOT a tangial like described above so I have to spin and then flip the frames and spin again. for the 2 days of the year I use it i'm happy. I run solo so as its spinning I am decapping.

https://www.amazon.com/Tek-Motion-St...rame+extractor

Quote Originally Posted by GoodyFarms View Post
    You mean it is tangential...it is not radial. Tangential=flip, radial=no flip.

One thing to note about that Amazon extractor is that being it 201 steel and not 304 or 316, make sure you dry it out real well after you're done, especially at the seam on the bottom. 201 steels have a higher tendency to rusting as they have about half as much nickel as more expensive 316 steel.
    Right I never get those straight

Quote Originally Posted by MAXANT View Post
    Buy American!
    Happy 4TH!
    I tried that Bub. How did I get treated? Thanks a bunch.

Mike do you not own a maxant 70 & 50? Service not to great, or product not great? They look nice in your vids. Have you since changed?

We bought the Lyson recently and will be using it real soon now. I'm impressed with the build and quality.
    Humble assistant to beek Alison as well as family purveyor of luxury Bee condominiums and Paparazzi activities...

Huge fan so far of my 4/8 VIVO electric. (BEE-V004E - 4 deep tangential/8 medium or short radial). It seems to be out of stock everywhere at the moment, but was $399 on Amazon. Really nothing negative to say about it at this point.