Photo hosting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo hosting

Default Photo hosting

Photobucket has been my free photo host, from it I have been able to link photos direct to the forum.

But now they want $399.00 per year for this, more than I am prepared to pay.

So just wondered what other options there are, to be able to link nice pics into a thread?
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Photo hosting

The bees know!
    AKA Wormtounge

Go to a photography forum and ask them. They will have the best answers for that.

Hey thanks for that handy link Bodo, I tried the Postimage site and it works fine have linked a pic here to try it.

Sure thing! That's a neat truck. Right up my alley. What is it?
    The bees know!
    AKA Wormtounge

Don't know much about it, he stopped near me on the road to sort something was falling off, interesting looking vehicle and even more interesting guy driving it! Got talking, he told me it's an old gold mine vehicle, the roof is flat so guys could stand on it and work on the roof of the mine.

The mine must have had a good engineer, doesn't really show in the pic but the welding and general workmanship was beautiful.

Thanks for posting Oldtimer. I'm looking for another photo hosting site too.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Seems like there's a few out there.

This incident does illustrate a problem with the "cloud". Once you have your stuff in it, they can do what they want with you, including massive fee hikes. Which isn't so much drama with some photos, but with business data or similar that may only be available in their format, would be a serious problem.

Trying out postimage...

The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Ha, nice surprise for the bike owner

OK well just created an account with Postimage and started transferring my photobucket albums over to it. Postimage is a way faster site to use and is not crowded with popup advertising like photobucket, wish I had found it years ago.

The annoying thing with Photobucket is that now they have decided to "upgrade" my account, all the pics I have ever posted in Beesource and any other sites, are now blocked unless I give Photobucket $399.00 per year. So anyone reading old threads will not be able to see the pics I posted.

The $399 plan is for 510.4 GB of storage. The 60.4 GB plan is $60/yr. I have a 30 GB plan that I paid $30/yr for. Photobucket really is getting greedy.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

None of those lesser plans will let you link pics to a site like beesource, to do that you have to shell out the 400 bucks annually.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    None of those lesser plans will let you link pics to a site like beesource, to do that you have to shell out the 400 bucks annually.
    I thought you might have misunderstood, but I looked into it. You aren't lying!

The Plus 500 subscription is the only current option for off-site photo hosting at this time. Our 3rd party hosting requirements can be found in our Terms of Use.
    And that puppy is $400 a year. That's insane! No one is going to pay that kind of money...
    The bees know!
    AKA Wormtounge

I set up a Postimg.org account after I saw this thread. I had been using Photobucket, and as of yesterday those images were still visible, but I was very tired of the slow loading at Photobucket due to the incredible volume of ads they were pushing. I won't be back.

Postimg is great!

One nice option is their "Thumbnail for forums:" function. It provides a relatively small image for "inline" display in forums such as Beesource, which expands to a larger version with one click, and then to FULL size with a 2nd click. This feature fits very well with the Beesource image size rule limits, and yet allows those interested to see the full size photo on demand. For an example of how this works, I posted a sample in this FAQ thread with more info:
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-forum-tips-**

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thanks Rader I didn't see that function.

IMO photobucket made a huge mistake that will negatively impact their business. Photobucket pages had a massive advertising load but I was willing to tolerate it for the free service, they gotta cover their operating expenses. But I'm not willing to tolerate the massive advertising load and pay their new expensive fees.

At this point even if photobucket reversed its policy I'm not going back. Let this become a case study of what not to do to be read by future business students.
    Zone 6B

It's an interesting one. For a lot of us there are other websites that offer the same as photobucket, for free, and turn out to be more user friendly. So why would anyone pay 400 dollars annually to stay with photobucket?

Thing is the strategist/s at photobucket presumably did their due diligence and their sums, before making this move. I'm thinking there's a lot of commercial people who have possibly years worth of material all over the net, with pictures hosted by photobucket. Rather than have to find and rebuild the whole thing, they may opt to pay an annual 400 dollars, which may be a drop in the bucket to them. I'm thinking Photobucket may have identified enough of these types of customers, and a price they think those folks will pay, to maximise returns even though they may lose other customers like say, me, who had a free account anyway so wasn't much value to them.

However it would certainly be interesting to be a "fly on the wall" in their boardroom in a few months and see how this is working out for them.

usually when I'd see a link to photos on photobucket i don't click them because photobucket is so slow and so much page code.
    I use http://imgur.com/ it's free and fast

http://i.imgur.com/CdNx5Kz.gifv
    Started April Fools Day 2017

Trying to post a pic!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast