Captured swarm producing no brood

Default Captured swarm producing no brood

I captured a swarm about 45 day ago. They appear to be doing well and are producing a lot of honey but, no brood to be seen.

There is one problem, I let an area of 4 frames developed naturally into one clump and is very hard to inspect. The rest of the hive has frames with wax forms.

I have a second hive (nucleus purchased 2 months ago). This hive is 70% full of brood.

Should I transfer a new brood frame with bees from the nuc hive to the swarm hive?Will this magically produce a queen?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Captured swarm producing no brood

Should I transfer a new brood frame with bees from the nuc hive to the swarm hive?
    Yes, with or without the attached bees. You want a frame with eggs or very young larvae. Make sure the queen from the nuc is not on the frame you transfer.
    David Matlock

Default Re: Captured swarm producing no brood

Quote Originally Posted by Beard of Bees View Post
    I captured a swarm about 45 day ago. They appear to be doing well and are producing a lot of honey but, no brood to be seen.

There is one problem, I let an area of 4 frames developed naturally into one clump and is very hard to inspect. The rest of the hive has frames with wax forms.
    (edit)
    45days? I'll wager Brood Central is within thar "clump".
    How to prove?
    1. Place an empty box on top with queen excluder.
    2. Swap all viable frames to the new box, leaving bees behind.
    3. Add maybe three drawn frames to the lower super, and around "clump" - you may have to chisel small extremes of the "clump" away. Do not discard the chips, place them on the hive floor.
    4. After 7days, inspect. If sufficent activity is happening on the introduced frames, begin to break down "clump" into chips, very carefully.
    5. Remove those chips to the top super leaving bees behind.

It is very likely the queen will be seen in the lower super on that 7day inspection. However if not, or if queen cups appear in top super, do not panic. Destroy queen cups found in top super and wait another 4days before introducing a frame of viable brood to the lower super.
    Lucks to your bees :-)

Cheers.
    Bill