Queen Problems?

Thread: Queen Problems?

Default Queen Problems?

So I have a nuc that I purchased and installed 6/3. My first concern with them was on the first frame they drew they put a big supercedure cell right in the middle of the frame within the first week of hiving them. I checked the cell and it was empty, still is empty as of yesterday as a matter of fact. Then I do more inspections, this is my first year as a beek so I've been doing weekly inspections, and they are not drawing frames out hardly at all. They have drawn 1 frame on either side of the 5 already drawn that came with the nuc. Now we come to the inspection yesterday. Brood pattern is awful! Hardly any eggs, all over the place with no apparent pattern that I can see. And to top it off most of the brood that has hatched has been filled in with honey/pollen. The hive has full sun from sunrise to about noon and then partial shade the rest of the day, could that be a factor? So I guess my question is what do I do? Should I leave them alone to supercede the queen? Should I requeen? I just want to make sure they can get enough stores for winter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queen Problems?

Are there enough resourses in the area that foragers are bringing back to the hive for them to draw out comb? Have you searched to see if there is actually a queen or do you have multiple eggs in cells that may be from laying workers? Are there capped cells in this spotty pattern that are dome shaped looking like drone comb?

Quote Originally Posted by Tweeter View Post
    Are there enough resourses in the area that foragers are bringing back to the hive for them to draw out comb? Have you searched to see if there is actually a queen or do you have multiple eggs in cells that may be from laying workers? Are there capped cells in this spotty pattern that are dome shaped looking like drone comb?
    The resources are not to great right now but I have them on sugar water. There is a queen, I've placated her every time except the last inspection. But the eggs that were laid were single eggs in the bottom of the cell standing on end. There are capped cells. A few are drone but the majority are worker cells.

Single egg on end sounds good. Maybe she needs a little time to get going. Keep feeding the syrup 1:1 to help draw comb if they will take it. If there are a lot of
    bees try taking a frame with foundation and put between 2 brood frames to try to get them to draw. If things don't change much in the next week or so you may have to requeen.

Turns out I was over feeding them. Took feed off on Friday, checked them on Sunday, all stores were moved and brood pattern was beautiful with freshly laid eggs. Not a single cell open!