Queen and 5 workers, need advice quick please!

Default Queen and 5 workers, need advice quick please!

Hey everyone, new to forum and need some advice.

I have two Italian and one Russian colonies along with several other hives shared in the same yard.
    I noticed one of my Italian hives looked like it was getting slow so I did a hive inspection and found no queen, not many too many bees, and very little brood.
    I ordered a queen, and while I was waiting for her I noticed the hive was getting robbed. I did my best to stop it, but all the bees when I did the inspection must have been robber bees anyways.
    At this point I have an empty hive, besides the released queen and her workers.
    Is it worth transferring a couple brood frames from my healthy Italian colony in with her?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queen and 5 workers, need advice quick please!

I had something similar a few weeks ago and here's what I did. I took a frame of brood and its bees from a different hive and used a 2"x 2" push in #8 screen cage over capped brood with queen, along with 2 other frames of brood and bees and put it in a different place in the yard. It's a small starter but I'm keeping an eye on it and it's doing ok. I don't know if you have these kinds of things handy to try something like this. I thought of doing what you describe here but I was too chicken that the bees from added hive would kill the queen. You have to have bees in the hive to take care of everything, not just brood and a few bees with a queen--if I'm understanding your question.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

I would put the 2 brood frames with a food frame and the queen in a nuc box with a reduced entrance and evaluate the yard for mites.

I think you understand perfectly, I am just a bit in a hurry since she's been in there for about a week now, and I would need to gather materials and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    I would put the 2 brood frames with a food frame and the queen in a nuc box with a reduced entrance and evaluate the yard for mites.
    SHould I do it with brood only, or with workers.
    Maybe retrap the queen in her cage?

See above, she needs the nurse bees as well as the brood.

Quote Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
    See above, she needs the nurse bees as well as the brood.
    OK, so last question, should I keep the queen loose, or should I try and re-trap her in the little cage she came in?