Making Sauerkraut - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Making Sauerkraut

https://www.amazon.com/Benriner-Mand...00032RZNK?th=1

I got the "Old Style" large. If I were getting another one, I'd get the jumbo. I thought I got the biggest one, but I didn't. Some of the cabbages that I used weighed 7 lb each and a quarter cut cabbage wouldn't fit on the mandoline. Mine came with 3 blades that would be used for dicing vegetables. I tried the largest one and it still cut the cabbage too small. Just use it without one of the drop in blades and it cuts the cabbage perfectly, set to the widest setting. The safest and actually the fastest way I found to cut it was to hold/push down on the cabbage with the palm of my hand and slide it back and forth across the blade. That also kept my fingers out of the way. Having said that, I will have a cut proof glove before I make more in the late fall.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Many are put off by the high cost of a real crock. This last time a 2 gallon glass cookie jar from Wallyworld was one of the crocks used. Having good results. No mold build up. It was about 15.00.

Quote Originally Posted by ToeOfDog View Post
    Many are put off by the high cost of a real crock. This last time a 2 gallon glass cookie jar from Wallyworld was one of the crocks used. Having good results. No mold build up. It was about 15.00.
    I've been using a 2 gallon plastic fermentor bucket used for small batch wine making similar to this: https://www.midwestsupplies.com/mast...-gallon-bucket

I turn a tupperware lid upside down on top of the cabbage and weight it down with a bowl or ziploc bag filled with dry beans or glass marbles.

Just started another batch yesterday. Got two beautiful large cabbages at the farmer's market for $2 each.

I'm making a stoneware crock that will be about 3 gallons when complete. It will have the semicircle weights to fit the inside. Looking forward to trying that.

100_3538.jpg

Default Re: Making Sauerkraut / Mannitol

Which crock to use to obtain less mannitol in the final product?
    Water-sealed or open?

https://books.google.de/books?id=n9x...ExD7sQ6AEIJjAE

Default Re: Making Sauerkraut / Mannitol

The wife and I have been making 100# of kraut every other year for over 30 years. Try to use winter cabbage (thick leaf) that has been hit by the frost a couple of times. Keep your crocks in the basement where it is cool. Using summer cabbage (thin leaf) and keeping your crocks in a warm area will result in the cabbage rotting. Too salty, not a problem, you can always rinse the kraut before cooking to remove some salt to taste. Use canning salt.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123