Making Sauerkraut - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Making Sauerkraut

Vance that's interesting

Cloverdale I just found the recipes online. I haven't made any of the other things yet.

I have found one thing out already and haven't got a finished batch yet. When making kraut directly in jars like I started doing your supposed to leave about an inch of room above the cabbage once the jar is packed. I packed mine to the bottom of the neck and that's too full. For the first several days brine was being pushed out through the airlock on the lid. I was gone for a few days this week and at some point the cabbage in the first jar started pulling brine back in. It pulled enough in that the top 1/2-3/4" of cabbage was dry and I think it's now spoiled. I opened it last night and poured some salt water in but I think it was too late
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Brad I just ordered the caps and weights for the jars you used. Thanks for the tip regarding filling. I like the adding of caraway seeds idea. Deb
    Proverbs 16:24

Let me know how the Carraway seeds taste, and how your first batch turns out!

When I checked the jar that had drawn down the brine, I scooped out the top 1 1/2 inches of cabbage then taste it. It was outstanding. It's just now losing the cabbage texture and taking on the sauerkraut texture but the flavor was incredible. Now I can't wait to try it again in another week!

I actually just checked back in to beesource after reading more lacto fermented recipes. Just checked out one for pickled okra. I've read that you folks up north aren't real fond of okra but it's a favorite in my house. I'm going to try a jar of lacto fermented pickles before the okra.

I've also learned that you can type "lacto fermented (whatever vegetable)" into a web browser and see if there are recipes for it.

We usually grow okra but didn't plant it this year. I've pickled it in the past. My wife likes it pickled. I'm not too fond of it pickled, but love it fried. I've not fermented it or anything other than a couple jars of kraut. I just started another batch in my 2 gallon primary fermenter bucket yesterday.

I like it fried too Gumpy. My favorite is baked whole pods on a cookie sheet in the oven. Just drizzle a little olive oil on it, some salt and bake it until it starts getting dry looking. It's incredible.

Heck I like it any way it's cooked.

I make sauerkraut twice a year. There are three crocks, a 10 litre and two 5 litres. Reasons for making it are family tradition, superior taste and powerful probiotics. People who dislike the taste of commercial sauerkraut like homemade.

Sauerkraut will last over 6 months in the refrigerator. Remember the saying, " if its under brine all is fine." I have a basement refrig that is for bulk storage. Pack the kraut in one pint jars and fill with brine. We eat it every morning. Try kraut on eggs with homemade yogurt washed down with kefir.

My experience is the red cabbages have a more vinegary taste. Try green cabbage, lemon juice, dill and garlic combinations. My favorite.

Toe, have you ever added brine (water and salt) to any of yours? I'm gun shy about the batch in my crock getting dry on top. I'm considering adding a quart of salt water to it.

Unless it foamed over only water evaporates and leaves the salt in the jar. All you need to add is water to top off the brine.

Ok thanks. There is a lot of foam on top of the stones that weight it down

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Toe, have you ever added brine (water and salt) to any of yours?<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Yes, A bag of dry cabbage was purchased. It was salted down and allowed to wilt for 12 hours and still didn't produce enough brine. Made a batch of brine pouring 1/2 cup of NONIODINIZED salt into a gallon of water. I use mostly Himalayan salt. I do not use pickling salt.

When packing kraut into the one pint, wide mouth jars you will run out of brine and have made extra brine to make sure everything is covered. We drink the brine. I now hide some brine from the previous batch to use while packing.

My philosophy is to use the least amount of salt I can. I use 1.5 to 2Tablespoons per 5 or 6 pounds of cabbage. I salt to taste.

Mine are water rim crocks so they are an enclosed system. The water/brine does not evaporate off.

I use the outer leaves as caps under the stones. Use a spatula to tuck the edges down the side. Takes care of misc floating pieces of cabbage.

Read somewhere that refrigerated sauerkraut will last a year in the refrig.

Advice for beginners. You will get a better tasting kraut using a non plastic crock.

Try some Blaukraut- red cabbage.

My wife hates commercial kraut but likes the taste of homemade. Try some homemade yogurt. It tastes alot different than commercial.

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, you use 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water? That's double the salt of what I've read online. I've been seeing 1T of salt per quart. That would be 1/4 cup per gallon.

This is the fill the jar up to the top brine. You don't use much per jar. I like a salty taste. I think 4 tablespoons per gallon is the MINIMUM amout of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by ToeOfDog View Post
    I think 4 tablespoons per gallon is the MINIMUM amout of salt.
    Which is 1/4 cup, not 1/2 cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumpy View Post
    Which is 1/4 cup, not 1/2 cup.
    Which could mean i am getting old and my memory is failing. >>>>>>>GGGGGG<<<<<<<<<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by ToeOfDog View Post
    Which could mean i am getting old and my memory is failing. >>>>>>>GGGGGG<<<<<<<<<<<<
    or I could have misunderstood your post and REALLY do like it salty! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gumpy View Post
    or I could have misunderstood your post and REALLY do like it salty! :-)
    This is the topping off brine so as a percentage of the total brine it is a small percent.

Okay this stuff is incredibly good. I started eating some of the first jar I packed. I started with 1/2 gallon and now I'm down to less than half that. I've eaten it with most meals and it's been good with everything I've eaten it with.

AND ToeOfDog, you mentioned eating kraut with eggs. I thought that was the most disgusting thing I had ever read, but I tried some of my first batch on a fried egg sandwich. It was INCREDIBLE. Thanks for the recommendation.

We got Mexican takeout the other night and I got steak nachos. I got some kraut to eat as a side to the nachos but before it was over I had it on top of them. It was very good and complimented the mexican food well.

<<<<<<<<< ToeOfDog, you mentioned eating kraut with eggs. I thought that was the most disgusting thing I had ever read, but I tried some of my first batch on a fried egg sandwich. It was INCREDIBLE. >>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sauerkraut, breakfast of Champions........<<<GGG>>>>

Drove by the real farmers market on Finley Ave today. I don't get to that part of town much. Fifty pounds of cabbage jumped into my SUV.

18 pounds of cabbage
    6 to 9 TB of dill seed
    9 to 12 TB of lemon juice
    12 to 15 cloves of garlic
    4.5 to 6 TB of unrefined, non ionized salt

This recipe has made many a "sauerkraut hater" repent and recant their evil ways and join the fold. <<GGG>>>

Got 20 pounds sliced tonight. I need a mandolin. Does anybody use one?

Yes, I bought a mandoline when I first got my first supplies. I shredded 30 lbs of cabbage in about 30 minutes with it. I did it outside, on the tailgate of my truck, so I could go fast and not worry about making a mess. I got the largest one I could find on Amazon.com I didn't get the wooden cabbage mandolin with the box for the cabbage to go in, I got a plastic one.

Make note... It will cut you like a scapel. I got 2 filleted fingers while shredding cabbage.

I don't know how you can handle that much garlic in the kraut. I put 2 cloves in a quart of okra that I lacto fermented and the garlic was way too strong. Very overpowering.

How about a link on that mandolin???

Need to get a cut proof glove?

Cut 30 pounds this morning with a knife. The most time consuming part was sharpening the knives. What the wife does to a blade is criminal. Loaded the three crocks then started on half gallon mason jars with the lid loosely screwed on. Then stuffed a 2 gallon glass cookie jar. Partially filled a gallon zip lock bag with brine and used that in place of stones in the cookie jar and mason jars. Used the outer leaves to cap everything.

Got 18 pounds in a 10 litre crock.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast