Making Sauerkraut

Hybrid View

Default Making Sauerkraut

I took the plunge into fermenting vegetables this week. I got ahold of a pint of homemade sauerkraut last year and decided then that I would start putting up my own. It was incredible. I didn't want to fool with a crock or a churn so I opted to go with 1/2 gallon jars and "easy fermenter" lid. I got the lids on Amazon last fall. I hadn't opened them until this week and didn't look at 2 of the 3 until tonight. One of them has a defect in the air lock system. I contacted them tonight to see if they'll make it good, but I doubt they do since I've owned it for 9 months.

I used a slightly different recipe on each jar so I could compare and see which I liked better. I used only salt in one jar and different amounts of salt and whey that I collected from buttermilk in the other two jars. I've got 18 days left before I can dig in to the jar I put up Tuesday night.

Anyone else make sauerkraut or ferment other vegetables? I'd like to get some recipes if any of you do.

The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Default Re: Making Sauerkraut

I got a reply email from Nourished Essentials, the manufacturer or at least distributor of the lids. They are mailing me a new one at no charge. I thought that was great customer service since I bought these so long ago and hadn't opened them until this week.

I make mine in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid fitted with a bubble air lock. 3 tablespoons of kosher salt to 5 lbs of cabbage. I get about 35 lbs in 5 gallon bucket. I let it ferment about 2 months and freeze in 2 lb bags. I have made it with only a bath towel draped over the bucket. I use a bungee cord to seal the towel so bugs don't get in.

Jim, do you put any weights on top of the cabbage in the bucket? I made about 4 gallons this afternoon and used a churn this time. The churn is definitely faster.

How long will the frozen kraut keep? Any idea if freezing kills the probiotics in the kraut? I've read that putting finished kraut in sealed jars will keep up to a year in the fridge. I have an old fridge in the barn, that's what I had planned to do with it.

I have plastic dinner plate that just fits in the bucket and I put a gallon milk jug full of water on top of it to keep the cabbage submerged. Keep an eye on the brine level so the cabbage stays submerged or it will rot. Mine foams over at the start so I set the bucket in a plastic dish washing basin.
    I don't know about the probiotics but mine stays good for year frozen. I know the old timers kept it a long time in the barrel or crock. i would think it might change texture over time.
    My adult kids never ate canned kraut but love the homemade stuff. I cut it a little on the coarse side and just pack it in the bucket by hand. I've seen some people beat it into the crock to crush the cabbage. Try adding about a teaspoon of caraway seeds per 5 lbs of cabbage to the mix when you make it.

Thanks for the replies Jim.

This is my first year to make any, or try to make any I should say.

I borrowed my sis in laws high dollar kraut churn. It has ceramic disk weights that hold the cabbage down, but I don't think they are heavy enough. They are about an inch thick and right now the brine is up to the top of those weights. Do you think I'll have to add any, at any time later? This crock has a lid and you pour water around the rim of the lid to seal oxygen from getting in the crock. I put full cabbage leaves over the top of the shredded cabbage, then put the weights on. So right now it's completely submerged. Hopefull it will stay that way.

I was going to try some Caraway seeds but I didn't find any at our local grocery store.

I used right at 3 T of pickling salt per 5 lbs of cabbage. That seemed to be the most recommended amount online.

Any more advise?