My Bees are building Up????????

Default My Bees are building Up????????

My bees like to build up. I have one deep box that they have built out very well. I put a medium on top with foundationless frames except of the 2 frames in the middle. I thought they might like a guide. I was wrong.

They have decided to build up from the bottom of the foundationless frames. They have arched them over and attached them to the foundation or the sides of the box. I have attached a picture to show what they are doing. I cut all of the "arched" combs out. I feel bad taking out their hard work.

Why are they building up? Should I takeout the frames with foundation?

Any advice to get them to build down would be great.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: My Bees are building Up????????

They arnt building up the are starting on the side wall and going down. Try putting a starter strip on the frame. Put a empty frame between the 2 full ones. Or melt some beeswax and drip a line as as start guide under the top bar. They need assistance it seems. Fix it now or youll have big problems later. Leave that comb on the frame just straighten it the bes you can so its directly under the top bar. They will make it right. And put that frame on the inside not against the wall.

They have starter wedges that are waxed. Why are they starting in the middle of the wall/foundation?

Should I pull the two frames with foundation. And just use the foundationless?

I got the bees from someone who was moving and could not keep them. They were in one deep. I only have mediums so I can't checkerboard as I don't have the resources.

The bees in my observation hive did the same thing. Built from the bottom up and attached to the glass on both sides. About all you can do is straighten it out as best you can and let them repair it.
    My wife and I are not filmmakers but we are documenting our journey at K-n-W Apiary.