Multiple queen cells in Nuc Split

Default Multiple queen cells in Nuc Split

Hello,

First time trying a queenless nuc split. Decided to let them raise their own queens, since the hive that I made the split from has a very good laying queen. She's a very heavy producer. So I used a couple frames of brood with eggs and larvae, and some food, and let them be. I found they made multiple new queen cells, 3 in total. I'm curious what others would recommend in this situation. Should I leave them alone and let nature take it's course? Should I pinch a few and leave 1 queen cell? I've read before that the first queen to hatch will sting and kill the other emerging queens before they hatch. I'm just concerned that I might have a problem if I leave all 3 cells in the hive.

What do you recommend?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Multiple queen cells in Nuc Split

No problem leaving the queen cells as is won't hurt a thing. Don't pinch queen cells you don't know which is the best or which is a dud.

Leave 'em and let the strongest one survive. Remember that swarms often lead to a dozen or more queen cells... three ain't a lot relative to what nature makes them go thru when we're not involved!

Three isn't too many to leave, and yeah, I have a hard time pinching queen cells, like I know anything about what's inside each one.

But if you have queen cells on more than one frame, you could always make another nuc with one of the other frames and add more nurse bees.....
    8 years, 30 colonies, no chemical treatments