Week Old Splits

Thread: Week Old Splits

Default Week Old Splits

New to Beekeeping, have Bee Club Begineer Course and great mentor with almost 50 hives. Mentor showed me how to make a split from strong hives and to salvage much from wind damaged hives and weak hives. He works some hives every day so most are worked once or twice weekly.
    I have had to add two med supers on original Nuc we put together nowh in 8 Frame boxes. I put 4 frames with capped & uncapped brood, pollen, honey and 5 Queen cells with lots of nurse bees in a 8 frame deep. I checker boarded 4 frames with new foundation and added a double hive top feeder with 1:1 on one side, clean water on other as it is dry here. Also added a small amount of pollen patty to frame top which they almost cleaned up in 2 days.
    My question is;
    By doing this, how long can queenless splits survive if left alone for up to 2 weeks max, about week average"
    The first hive of 5 frames w/ queen almost swarmed after 11 days even with a empty med, which was 75% honey and 10% brood when opened after 11 days.
    Kneedeep
    Zone 8A Mississippi Alluvial Delta

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Week Old Splits

Short answer is until all the bees die. You didn't mention if the brood frames contained any eggs or day old larva. You have to have these for them to make the new queen. On a walk away split, check back after a week to see if there is an emergency queen cell or two or three. If so, leave it alone for four weeks before checking for eggs. If not, give them another frame of eggs and wait another week. You should be able to do this several times, after that you will need to add more nurse bees. My nuc made queen cells on the second try.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

It did have eggs and larvae
    Kneedeep

Then the bees are good for a month. By then you should have a new laying queen.

When I asked the frog how deep the water was in his lily pond, he replied...

As if you haven't heard that one!
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

If that frog had a tail......
    Kneedeep