MAXIMUM OUTDOOR TEMPERATURE FOR OXALIC ACID VAPORIZATION

Default MAXIMUM OUTDOOR TEMPERATURE FOR OXALIC ACID VAPORIZATION

I would like to know of beekeeper's experiences using oxalic acid vaporization with daily high temperature above 105 F degrees. Or, please share your maximum temperature experience using OAV and whether you had any problem with bee kill/damage. I don't want to kill my bees.

I plan to treat for Varroa soon. Too hot for formic or thymol (>105F). Two weeks ago my hives averaged 5.8% varroa infestation from alcohol washes on 300-bee samples from brood frames. Everything happens early here in Phoenix. Hives started making brood in January and honey flow started March 5 and pretty much ended early May. Honey supers are off. Brood rearing continues in double deeps from light (maintenance) flow of nectar and pollen; hives have an average of about 4 frames of brood so I expect Varroa to multiply rapidly. I see scant sign of deformed wing virus in 1 of 12 hives. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: MAXIMUM OUTDOOR TEMPERATURE FOR OXALIC ACID VAPORIZATION

We do ours early morning if we have to treat in summer while temps are still below 90 and actually did ours today. Started about 5:30am and done by 7:00am and went fine. This advise was from my mentor to help avoid excessive heat stress with hive closed up when 100+ outside. I think it was right at 80 this morning when I started.
    Last edited by Nugget Shooter; 06-16-2017 at 03:07 PM.
    Cheers Bill
    zone 9b

As OAV does not have a "high temperature" limit, this is more about how long you should keep your hives closed (due to the ambient high temps). I'd do it whenever it was coolest (morning or night).... if it's still too hot then to close the hives, leave them open and add a little extra OA for what might escape.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Thank you Nugget and snl for the information. All good advice and experience.

How long do you close the hives for? What if I just reduce the entrance to two bee space? Is that close enough to consider the hive "closed". Or is there a reason the entrance has to be completely sealed off.

I'm using pro vap 110 tomorrow. First time using it. Also first time using oav.

It is the vapors that kill the mites. The recommended time period to keep the hive closed is 10 minutes. It does not have to be a perfect closure. I'd think leaving a two bee opening during high temperatures is fine.
    You're going to love using the ProVap.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!