Drought

Thread: Drought

Default Drought

We seem to be heading into something we haven't had in a long time, a drought. Recent years, we've had too much rain, this year, hasn't rained in about three weeks, still watering the garden, but not going to do that for the next two months, produce isn't that expensive. Other than the obvious disruption to nectar flow and assuring the bees have plenty of water, any other issues other than hive inspections and feeding if necessary? Kind of ridiculous, was feeding the end of January as we didn't have a winter and they were flying almost every day, now may have to feed in summer due to no rain. I have noticed they seem to be much more active early and late and just hang out during the day, don't know if that's a function of what's blooming right now or dew being available.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Drought

Going thru the same , just got 1 inch of rain maybe a little more, bad year for new beekeepers in certain parts of the midwest.
    Dad always said " Smart like tractor, strong like bull "

No rain in AZ for 3 months now (in my location), fingers crossed it will rain someday....
    Cheers Bill
    zone 9b

No rains mean you have to plant something for them to keep them busy through out the
    entire summer dearth. Plant something that will bloom even in the drought. This vine plant will bloom
    and cover with bees around this time. It is invasive though. It is the drought coming up!
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Yippee! We got an inch and a quarter of rain today in just under a half hour. Hay was still looking OK, but corn and soybeans were looking ragged. Dodged that bullet for now!!

To maintain the hive population going into the Autumn harvest I'll just feed them a small sandwich
    baggie of patty subs. Since the newly mated early summer queens are still laying, I got the Cordovan
    bees, feeding will help them to grow more. There will be nectar flow later on to harvest some. Cannot let them
    go dry without helping them along through the dearth here.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?