Small swarm in a trap

Default Small swarm in a trap

I have a small swarm in a trap in my yard. I took a quick peek and it looks like two or three medium frames mostly covered with bees. I'm hoping there are more out foraging. It was 1:15 pm. I'm not sure if they moved in today or a few days ago. The trap is a six frame extra deep with six medium frames.

Since I know the bees are in there, is there any reason not to move it tonight? I'd like to get them out of the yard. I have one neighbor that likes to complain. I can put it in 5x5 medium nuc this weekend and reset my trap. Maybe I should leave them in the trap until I have eggs? If it's a virgin queen how long until I get eggs?

I think my largest hive can spare some brood in a week or two, but I was wondering if this size swarm is viable?

I was watching some scout bees last week. They were large and had yellow on them. The swarm that moved in is darker and smaller I think. Maybe a good reason to reset my trap soon. This trap hangs on the inside of my six foot privacy fence. The top is just an inch or two above it, so the lure scent can blow around. Not too noticeable for the neighbor.

I'm going to put a small hive inside the fence in case another swarm comes around, but I think they'd be more likely to find one on the fence.
    Last edited by Kenww; 06-14-2017 at 01:29 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Small swarm in a trap

>I have a small swarm in a trap in my yard.

>is there any reason not to move it tonight?

If they're not locked in with brood they could abscond. If you have a neighbor situation it might be better to take the chance, if the neighbor cant see it then no worries. I try to wait at least a weak.

The swarms with a virgins that I knew went on a mating flight the next day after hived, and was laying right after.

>I was wondering if this size swarm is viable?

You want ten deep frames to winter in MO (small you go the higher winter mortality), feed them during the dearth and I see no reason they can't be that big by Oct.

Thanks!

It may not be as small of a swarm as I thought. I went out about 4:00 and there was a ball of bees under the trap, not quite baseball sized. I don't know how big it was when they started moving in. At first I thought opening the top had disturbed them and they were leaving. I watched for quite a while and they seemed to be moving in. Checked again and the ball was gone but lots of bees at the door. I can only see bees when I look in the door now.

Now I'm not sure what happened? Maybe only a few hundred scout bees earlier and now a swarm? Maybe two swarms?

Now I don't know if I just have a few frames of bees or if the box is packed. Maybe I should give them a full hive tonight just I case it's a big swarm ? I haven't tried anything like that after dark. No bearding. Maybe they are t so crowded that they won't stay.

I'm tempted to build a six frame medium super just in case they need it.

It's fun having one at the house so I can watch it.

Cool. Let us know how things go... What were you using as your swarm lure. How long was it out prior to getting your surprise ?

It wa only out about a week or so. I used a lure from Sutherlands and Lemongrass oil. I think they get the lures from Mann Lake.

I've had sone out in the woods for a couple months. No luck until now.

>Maybe only a few hundred scout bees earlier and now a swarm?

Sounds like it, especially with a clump under the trap moving in, good thing you did not move them.

>It's fun having one at the house so I can watch it.

Yes it is!!! This is the third year I caught a swarm in this spot;

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...60#post1445860

I moved it that night because of the neighbors. It felt like a couple pounds of bees, so I added a five frame medium. Didn't want any comb under the frames in the trap. The next day I added frame of honey. This weekend I added a frame of mostly sealed brood and put them in a ten frame medium. I set the five frame box on top of the hive so the foragers would recognize home. They seem fine. Not sure if they have a queen yet. I hope they do because I think they may be Russians and I've been wanting to try them. They are darker than the bees I have. No yellow.

Anyone know a site with pictures to ID the types of bees?