Beekeeping Research
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Beekeeping Research

Hi folks,

Hi, my name is Dan Cook and I'm a hobby beekeeper and mature-age design student. I'm currently researching beekeeping and how todays modern beekeeping practices effect the beekeeper and the bees for my Honours project. I'm not looking to design the next flow hive or anything like that, just get an understanding of peoples practices and problems.

It would be fantastic if you could spare three or four minutes to let me know a few details about you practice. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me on: [email protected]

The questionnaire is here if you would like to help out https://goo.gl/forms/O3c1eb7eWp6FyK6y2

Thank you so much for your time in advance , and if this is not the right place to post this I apologise and will place it properly elsewhere if you could point me in the right direction!

Dan

PS. Keep up the amazing work!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Beekeeping Research

Done!

Enjambres

Thanks so much!!

Done, I use Dadant hives which are the most popular here but I didn't see that so just ticked Langstroth derivative
    2nd Year of Bees in Provence, France. Five 10 frame Dadant Hives.

Done. One hive design element that isn't included in your survey is ventilation, which is a big one for temperate climates.

Dan, I did complete your survey. I appreciate the brevity of the form. One suggestion--as you are doing this as part of an honours project, take the time to check for spelling and grammatical errors, as you have several on your survey form. It would be much more scholarly in appearance at least. Good luck with the project.

Done
    Cheers Bill
    zone 9b

Done
    The question is what to do, and the answer, as always, is complicated by a muddle of reason, emotion, and doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by iahawk View Post
    Dan, I did complete your survey. I appreciate the brevity of the form. One suggestion--as you are doing this as part of an honours project, take the time to check for spelling and grammatical errors, as you have several on your survey form. It would be much more scholarly in appearance at least. Good luck with the project.
    After seeing this comment, I just had to go look. I agree. "Except" and "accept" are different words. ;-)
    I also filled out the form.

Done.

Done
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your responses! Across 4 forums we managed to get 51 responses. As I am keen to contribute to the community and believe in sharing, the data collected is below! To summarise the results, the majority of active forum users / responders were from various states in the USA with 94% using langstroth type hives. Of the participants the majority ran 10 frames per super with 50% using plastic foundation, 15.7% using wax and 12% using no foundation at all. Of the participants almost 90% ran under 30 hives, with 11% running 31-100 hives. Over one third of beekeepers modified their hives in some way (not including just paint) and over 40% believed the hives they used to have a positive effect on the bee colony. The top priorities in hive design were for lifting cleats, inspection ease and pest management. Most beekeepers (on the forum so a loaded technology question!!) learnt beekeeping from forums, youtube and books. There were a wide variety of styles of beekeeping from treatment free to commercial and 'leave them alone' to 'bees know what they're doing-leave them to do it!'. Extinction of varroa was a key response in the wish list question with expense and better resources being other common answers. I particularly liked the 'better research' answer! ink:

American (and Canadian) beekeepers are a safe bunch with only 6% having had a injury, usually connected to the back or shoulders. Apiarists seem to be an older group with 68% being over 50, with only 2% being under 25. The group was 78% male, however this could also be an indication of forum participants rather than beekeeping in general...

Here's the hard data for those interested.
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1TAM...edit#responses

Just as a little FYI for those that expressed an interest, I run 4 langstroths (10 frame), 1 top bar and 2 warre hives. I am mainly ligustica but also have a lovely colony of caucasians.

Again, thank you so much for your answers and I hope you found the results interesting.

Have a great day,

Dan

I can't even find the word 'accept' or 'except' apart from in one of the responses! Thanks for your response though!

Word on the first page of the survey. Effect should be affect. As the man said, yer murderin tha queen's English.

Dan, your link to "results" goes back to the original survey. It does not open a results document. Focus is an interesting word. Folks is married to cuss. When one forgets to focus, folks just want to cuss.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
    Word on the first page of the survey. Effect should be affect. As the man said, yer murderin tha queen's English.

Dan, your link to "results" goes back to the original survey. It does not open a results document. Focus is an interesting word. Folks is married to cuss. When one forgets to focus, folks just want to cuss.
    Haha, yes, sorry, missed that one. Too much talking about the effect of the research affecting the bees

Also, appears google did something funny to the link - works for me but not others... here's a link to the spreadsheet data, but it's pretty much what I summed up above.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jipF8SzxMZQzumAOMRXh3NHGwh77U-46BzhRCDy-nOc/edit?usp=sharing

G'day Dan.
    Please excuse the lack of Techo secret h'shake, *we* are sworn to secrecy on
    that one, eh? :-D
    Truthfully my interest piqued only by the domain syntax in the email address I went looking... as I am sure you would know any "trublue" Aussie would, like.
    I didn't get far :grin:
    http://www.honeybeeworld.com/forum/v...php?f=8&p=6698

Some background to why my post now?
    I have recently read - and responded to - a study around brood comb cell size, ran in the USA, from which the findings in my view would easily be proven as bovine excretus maximus. Yet one enthusiaist at least is using the findings as a pivot for beekeeping practises. I doubt anyone could turn that tide back, now.
    So, IF your paper IS published what would the outcome be for Australian beekeepers when your 'data' - as loose as that is - is generated by investigating USA dominated forums?
    Of particular note are the pointed differences in hive structures, seasonal variants and politics in culture brought forward by the now generational exposure to pests and diseases in NA climes.

I ask;
    Only you know the extents of your project, and only you are equipped to
    evaluate what builds any paper coming from it. Given the origin of your alma mater, and hopefully the due dilgence of your peers, I am puzzled as to what you hope to build from such a 'survey' technique, offshore.

I do understand what one has to do to get that red/purple/green sash hung over one's shoulder, believe. And at a pinch I can admire your enthusiasm but - a huge "but" - it is hard enough as it is for Aussies to gather any credibilty in these USA dominated forums without having our kids in here running "do my homework, please" threads. Get me drift, bloke, an' that like?
    The QBPA just ran their conference in Gympie, a few hours from you, and there exist any number of associated clubs well wiling to promote responsible apiary management all around Australia.
    Tell us you have mailed them all and conducted that research as a parallel to your online efforts, please.

Oh, and "Go Broncos" for tonight's game - about to start :-)

Cheers.

Bill (hons redacted)

--
    posted only in the hope [email protected] includes the thread in the References addendum of the paper.

Hi Bill thanks for you post.

Techo secret h'shake? I honestly have no idea what you mean!!!

Just to clarify a few things:
    Paper - there is no paper. I wouldn't use a forum to gather research data for a paper. There are better references through ABS, Biosecurity qld, etc to get most of the data for context This survey is being used to get demographic data for an industrial design (product design) persona. This provides a focus for design questions such as hand size through to dexterity, and helps justify design aims. For example. As around 75% of the beekeepers are male and 40+ in the participant group, I can justify the design of a handhold size for an adult male of 40+yrs.

The reason I posted this in these forums is that when I searched 'bee + forum" I came up with 5 or six addresses, unfortunately none Australian (but one NZ). I was more interested in what the demographic was and what equipment was in use. If you know of any Australian run forums that would be great but I found only a few,and would love to find more.

As to the discussion at honey bee world, (http://www.honeybeeworld.com/forum/v...php?f=8&p=6698) I am surprised at the vehemence of one user over someone asking a question. In my various dealings with beekeepers (including spending time with a number of beeks and breeders doing observations, interviews and talk aloud procedures) this is the first time I have encountered anyone screaming at me for asking questions. If you object to the questionnaire, don't do it!

I apologise if I have offend all Americans on behalf of Australia, but this was not my intent. Statistically though, over 98% of my participants have helped me out verses one person throwing a wobbly over a questionnaire! If asking a few questions makes me one of the 'kids' then I'm starting to think twice about involving myself at all. So far in the real world I have encountered only friendly helpful people and mentors with a passion to share their knowledge, so I think that maybe I should leave the forums to all the experts and adults to talk and go back to passive observation without involvement.

Again, there's no paper forthcoming, so rest easy, My lips are sealed, and my browser history wiped

D
    Last edited by illuminateddan; 06-30-2017 at 06:56 AM.

Not all Americans are offended, well done. It is an opt in if you choose questionnaire. Thank you for trying to do more than just offer opinion and instead offer some stats.

Hi,

So after a fairly brisk debate on the merits and failures of my survey on various forums, I thought I'd share a little more information just for completeness sake:

To clarify, this survey was just a very small part of my other research which is on the 'thermal impacts of hive manipulation'.

While this sounds like 'mumbo jumbo' it's really just documenting and measuring what I and all the participants here know already - that opening a hive releases the environment within and changes the temperature and humidity. What I am trying to document is the empirical figures: how much does it change, how long does it take the bees to recover, what happens to the hive temperature and humidity after a manipulation and how do the bees restore the 'microenvironment'. I am also looking at the role that brood comb and honey comb play in hive temperature stabilisation (which is a lot due to the thermal mass of the honey comb when full).

Unfortunately, as you probably already know, in academic papers, theses, essays and such, first hand knowledge must be supported by empirical evidence, hence the survey. I know that langstroth hives are a base standard with a gazillion variations, that I get a sore lower back from lifting a 35kg super that's too near the ground and that I run a 10 frame super because thats what I started with and what my local store sells, but I need to be able to say 'x out of x beekeepers' do this. Even knowing that out of 'x' many views on 'x' many forums, I got 'x' responses is very useful in (in)validating the data.

I have however learnt that in beekeeping forums, a survey is not a valid collection method to get an accurate cross section as the form of the questions will be judged for worthiness and the questioners reputation on the board changes the number and type of people answering - surprisingly valid information from which I shall get paragraphs of recommendations from!

Anyway, having alienated various beekeepers on various forums through this survey I'd like to say thanks to all that responded. Further to this, I'd now kind of like to move on if possible and become involved and learn from this community. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Dan

PS: I can't guarantee that my spelling or grammar will improve, but their/there/they're we go

Quote Originally Posted by illuminateddan View Post
    Hi,

So after a fairly brisk debate on the merits and failures of my survey on various forums, I thought I'd share a little more information just for completeness sake:
    ... no worries Dan, tis all good :-)

FWIW there will be way more blood and pulped ego at Suncorp Stadium this arvo then will ever be found in these beekeeping forums.
    Think Paul Keating in full roar at the despatch box, to figure most of it out!!
    QUT alumni are a resilient mob

Goooo the Teach

Cheers.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast