Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Propolis questions

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  rwurster 
#1 ·
I'm new here and new to bee keeping. While I've learned much so far, I'm still learning.
Until I entered in to this facinating world of the honey bee, I had never even heard of propolis. Let alone that it had medicinal purposes and that there was a market for it.
Now that I'm older and hopefully a little wiser, I find myself trying to take better care of myself physically and mentally. Recently I was able to loose weight, about 40 lbs actually. I've also tried to be more active. I am happy to say that my efforts have been rewarded. After nearly 10 years, my doctor has taken me off of my cholesterol and blood pressure medications. I'm very proud of myself for accomplishing that!
So now in a effort to take better care of myself, I am looking to the wonderful honey bee and all that she offers to help me.
So I am asking for help from everyone here on this forum to add any uses and their recipes for propolis that you personally use or have used. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!!

#4 ·
It might help to start with a clinical overview:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-390-propolis.aspx?activeingredientid=390&

I primarily use it for wounds and I find it remarkably good...even better than straight topical antiseptic. It's my go to application for all sorts of cuts, scrapes, gashes, etc., when I think they won't heal easily and it's my ONLY application for very deep wounds...the kind that need stitches. I use it on my feral cats when they have wounds and sometimes my chickens if they have an accident (I cut a crop last year to clear it due to sour crop and dressed the incision with propolis tincture). Others here may have much greater insight. Making the solution is pretty straight forward and has been discussed here. It stores well for a long period of time and it really doesn't take too much propolis to make a lot of tincture.

#7 ·
I primarily use it for wounds and I find it remarkably good...even better than straight topical antiseptic.
I'm a born sceptic and I have found that propolis does in fact work every bit as well as any over the counter ointment I have ever purchased. The other thing I like about it is that it seals your wound. You can get water on it and it won't was off, it stays pliable on the skin, i have stuck my hand in mud with propolis over a cut and nothing got in the wound. It is truly a remarkable substance.

#6 ·
Propolis is anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal inside and outside of the body. Make sure there is no allergy to bees or bee products.

We add the powdered propolis to honey and eat that. Works with blood circulation.

Also, propolis can be added to honey and used for wounds. Honey is excellent for wounds, too. Promotes faster healing and prevents or treats infection.

Propolis can be used as a tincture also.
Use for animals also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.