Paint and primer in one - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Paint and primer in one

I buy Valspar paint from LOWES. They have separate exterior primer/sealer and an exterior topcoat called Stormcoat . Around $24-$25 range per gallon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

after 6 - 7 years i am noticing it's the the finger joints and in particular the end grain parts that are becoming problematic.

so on new boxes and when refinishing old boxes i am sealing the outside corners with 2 part polyester resin like that used for working automotive fiberglass. on the new boxes the resin serves as glue as well.

after the resin dries the boxes get a light sanding and the corners are sprayed with white rustoleum primer.

after the primer dries i'm using two coats of white mid grade exterior behr primer/sealer in one.

i'll let ya'll know in 6 - 7 years how it worked out.
    'no wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes' - the doobies

We spray and backroll the end grains on the corners. Seems like that's what it takes to seal them up properly.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I have had mixed results with all in one primer/paint. As others have said if the material is perfectly prepped, it seems to work well. Anything less and you may have problems. As a result,I no longer use all in one on exterior jobs, but will still use in some interior jobs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12