queen cups in split

Default queen cups in split

New last year started with 2 nucs that got to 2 standard supers and overwintered at 50 deg lat. On May 4th I took a nuc and allowed them to raise their own queen from at least 6 queen cells. June 2nd no sign of new queen so I added a frame of eggs larva and capped brood. 3 days later checked the frame and no sign of them drawing out queen cells but there is larvae on other frames so my eyes must of missed the eggs and queen.
    I am feeding 2:1 syrup and pollen patties as I transferred into a standard super and while there was a good flow going as well but being new to it I have no drawn comb for them. My dandelion sour cherry and saskatoon flow has ended but they immediately transferred over to the raspberries that are now flowering. Feeding the new splits may continue based on forage available but here is where the question arises. My nuc which is now in a single hive body is filling up fast with nectar and some new capped honey. The bees have drawn out 5 or 6 queen cups in the middle of 2 old frames over the last couple of days. The new queen has started laying as evidenced by new small uncapped brood. I am wondering if these new cups are an indication of an only partially successful mating as we did have some very erratic weather in may. Am I looking at a possible supersedure attempt? I did not see eggs in the cups but I missed the eggs that are now larvae I did not see any jelly but 6 cups at once has me wondering.
    I know that they know best and if they want to supersede the new queen already they would have a reason, but she just started laying so should I just leave them to it.? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: queen cups in split

I would stop feeding. They are most likely backfilling most of the available room for your new queen and are thinking she may not be up to par. Bees do however continually make queen cups and tear them down. I would just go ahead and remove them if you are sure you have a laying queen. You will sleep better.

What Bee Haven said. Stop feeding. You have flow and they can find their own pollen. Also 1:1 is the correct Spring ratio. Sounds like you are getting honeybound. Add another deep right away or you risk swarming.

Yes, if you appear to have a laying queen tear down the started cells. My bees will start cells during extended periods of nothing coming in. Occasionally I have found where the flow resumed and they tore them down themselves. You just have to make sure you are NOT interfering with an essential emergency or supercedure. Take into account the existing queens age and previous performance record.
    Frank

thanks for the replies. They essentially emptied the feeder before I could get back into the hives. The bees tore down all but one cup which now has a larvae in it and is close to being capped. The 3 splits taken later (may 14th) are doing much better than the one from may 4th. Nice brood patterns and little to no drone comb. The one on the 4th has an erratic brood pattern and a surprisingly large number of capped drone cells. The one queen cell left is in the middle of the frame and does not look like the emergency cells they formed when I took the other splits with the hook pattern,
    This split is too small to survive a swarm I think, but if they do I have 2 empty nucs set out with 3 frames of iffy comb from a friend who had a hive destroyed and all the brood eaten. They also have 2 frames of undrawn foundation and have been baited with lemon grass oil and installed aprx. 15' up facing South aprx. 50 yds from the location with my 2 hives and the 4 splits. Have to keep the swarm traps on my own property and using the line fence trees makes sense to me.
    I am going to leave them to it and let them do what they want with that split. If they want to supersede I am going to let them. If I lose it then at least they will have drawn out some comb for next year.