What would you do?

Default What would you do?

I have an overwintered hive with 1 deep and 1 medium 10 frame, yesterday I noticed numerous swarm cells. Tomorrow will be my next opportunity to go in and do whatever I decide to do. The cells were not capped yet and the queen is still laying. I did add another deep but I'm unsure if I should make a split or try to remove the cells?? I'm assuming they will just continue with their swarm process even if I try to remove the cells? If I do a split would you try to take the queen and put her in a new hive(she's only 1 year old) and leave the cells in the original to hatch out and hopefully come back mated?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What would you do?

I would do the splits. I had a hive swarm on me Wednesday. I caught the swarm now I'm taking a peak today to see if I can split the hive.

It is very hard avert a swarm once the queen cells are started unless you split the hive.

When you split one like this is it suggested to take the queen a frame or two worth of bee plus some brood and leave in the same location ?
    Then would you just move the rest of the hive to a new location to let them hatch a new queen?