Can you correct a laying worker colony by combing a queenright NUC?

Default Can you correct a laying worker colony by combing a queenright NUC?

I think I read somewhere that drones may attack a newly introduced queen. If I did a newspaper split and there was 1) queen pheremone slowly intrduced 2) brood pheremone slowl introduced....could this remedy a laying worker hive? I fixed a hive one by adding a frame of eggs every week until the colony fixed itself. lotsa drone comb in there looks ugly in there....

any ideas?

otherwise what do i do with this hive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Can you correct a laying worker colony by combing a queenright NUC?

Yes, you can. Combine the laying worker colony with a queenright colony.
    Mark Berninghausen

It would take a long time, you would have to leave the queen right hive above the laying worker hive long enough for the brood Pheromones to suspend the Laying worker(s) A screened inner cover between the hives would be better than the News paper method. If the Laying worker(s) are not suspended the results are the same as trying to combine two queen right hives.

Most of the time yes. Seems like I have the best success with a few frames of brood and a ripe cell.

Hear is a thread for you to read-
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...=laying+worker
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by whiskers View Post
    Hear is a thread for you to read-
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...=laying+worker
    Bill
    Beat me to it

Have used the newspaper method twice and both times successful with no issues. Laying worker hive was added on top of the queen right hive and it took about 2 days time for them to chew through the newspaper. I used a razor blade to make 3 slices about 3 inches long between frames and that is where they chew through and the queens Pheromones get a head start mixing into the top with the slits.
    Cheers Bill
    zone 9b

Here's more on what works, what sometimes works and lots of other methods to try;

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslayingworkers.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget Shooter View Post
    Have used the newspaper method twice and both times successful with no issues. Laying worker hive was added on top of the queen right hive and it took about 2 days time for them to chew through the newspaper. I used a razor blade to make 3 slices about 3 inches long between frames and that is where they chew through and the queens Pheromones get a head start mixing into the top with the slits.
    Queen Pheromones do not suspend the laying worker. It take brood Pheromones, and usually two weeks to do so. When you do a combine with news paper you are hoping that the queenright hive will defend their queen more vigorously that the queenless hive will defend theirs. Although they technically do not have one, they believe they do. This method should only be done with a week Laying worker hive, and Strong queenright hive. A nimble laying worker is capable of dispatching a fat old bred queen and certainly capable of instigating her rank and file to ball the new queen. Add to that most laying worker hives have several laying workers the shortcut may not be worth the chance. and certainly should not be the first choice to repair a laying worker hive.
    Poor advice from someone who has been lucky is still poor advice. IMHO there are Only two time tested sure fire methods to resolve a LW. Shake them out, or Add brood weekly. One's available time, available resources, or need for hive numbers can determine which to use.

Luck then it was.... But worked well for me and was recommended by someone in beekeeping 40 years is all. I have not the experience yet to advise anyone my way is the only correct way or someone's advise is "poor", but will share something that has worked for me.
    Cheers Bill
    zone 9b

It is not a case of My way being the only way! It is a case of the collective experiences of thousands of beekeepers with hundreds of years of collective experience collaborating on time tested proven methods that work. As well as the degree at which they are successful and the science behind them. I never said that "your way" could not work just that it was a poor way and required conditions to be right in order to be successful. There is a difference between Poor and bad as well as successful and limited success. I did not meant to offend your delicate psyche!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    It is not a case of My way being the only way! It is a case of the collective experiences of thousands of beekeepers with hundreds of years of collective experience collaborating on time tested proven methods that work. As well as the degree at which they are successful and the science behind them. I never said that "your way" could not work just that it was a poor way and required conditions to be right in order to be successful. There is a difference between Poor and bad as well as successful and limited success. I did not meant to offend your delicate psyche!
    I have had less that 50% success rate with the paper method to fix a laying worker, so in my book it's iffy to do that. I've had a lot better luck shaking out the brood area of a laying worker and saving the other population of workers. I pull every frame that has brood and taking it to the woods since you likely have more that one laying worker laying more like 3-12.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    You offended no one.... I am simply hear to learn like everyone else.
    Last edited by Nugget Shooter; 06-10-2017 at 05:06 PM. Reason: spelling.
    Cheers Bill
    zone 9b