Swarm Commander

Thread: Swarm Commander

Default Swarm Commander

I have found Swarm Commander to be really useful in catching swarms, especially high ones. I can put a half a squirt of it on a rag on a 20' pvc pipe and get it close to whatever branch the swarm is on, and get them on the rag, so to speak. Works especially well if I can shoot a rope over the branch they are on and disturb the branch enough to break the cluster enough to get them to re-orient to the rag. Then I just toss the whole rag into whatever box I want to house them in. I have also zip-tied a QMP strip to the rag-end of the pole, but I don't know if it actually helps or not.

Anyway, the other day I was going after a swarm and I got a little Swarm Commander on my hand.

commanderhand.gif
    8 years, 30 colonies, no chemical treatments

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Swarm Commander

Interesting photo. Thanks for sharing the Swarm Commander tip.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG74 View Post
    Interesting photo. Thanks for sharing the Swarm Commander tip.
    Oh, yeah, I resisted the Swarm Commander hype for a while...Figured it was really no better than lemon grass oil....Finally saw enough reputable folks here repping it so I got some, and there is a huge difference over LGO......Like they say at the company that sells it, though, don't use too much. I was getting a puddle of bees on the ground to march on to a frame of drawn comb, and when I added another squirt of SC to the comb, they immediately ran back off of the frame. So you don't want to overwhelm them.

But I have actually just waved a rag with SC in the air and a swarm-in-progress that hadn't made up it's mind yet just collected on the rag....That's happened a couple times. It definately pays for itself........
    8 years, 30 colonies, no chemical treatments

Thanks for the info! I will try it.