African honey bee

Default African honey bee

Hi all, does anyone here have the African honey Bee? we here at the Double K have 4 hives of them. After 2 years of working them, I have come to the conclusion that they have gotten a bad rap. I really enjoy them and we have very little maintance with them. No mites, no beetles, and no other pest bees around. They reproduce quickly and produce honey quickly its june 4th and we are preparing for our second pull next week.
    we pull bloom to bloom here our last pull was apple and this will be clover. Yes you have to wear a suit and smoke them but there resistance to diasease is well worth it. if anybody else out there has them would love to hear from you. Kevin n Kelly the Double K

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: African honey bee

Welcome to Beesource, exemptfive!

How did you determine that those bees were (AHB) Africanized Honey Bees? By most accounts AHB don't do well in cold weather such as is experienced in most Pennsylvania winters.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Hi thanks for the welcome. My uncle ordered them in the late 90's early 2000 he had Italian bees prior to that and he lost them in Cc'd someone he knew gave him a catalog and he ordered them. They have been here ever sense. Like I said they have gotten a bad. rap. Most everything you have heard isn't true . They are very hard workers and ask very little in return.,

I would think that over 17 years there is not much of the (AHB) strain left in your bees.
    If there was most of the USA would have it by now?
    From what I have read they don't like cold winters and you have had a few since 2000.
    I remember shoveling a lot of snow in Gap Pa. in 2000.
    Zone 6b 1400'

We have had a few bad winter's. I don't know if one trait takes over or not. I do know these bee's have been thriving. We have a farm that is pesticide free and orchards that are also pesticide free. Where is Gap Pa

Lancaster co.
    Zone 6b 1400'

Do you have records of the queens for these hives? Generations away from the originals? Very interesting.
    2nd year with bees. 3 Top Bar hives in my back yard.
    Zone 5b/6a. 'Crackpipe' OAV.

LOL
    Cold hardy, docile (read won't kill the neabors dog), productive AND highly splitabul, mite free, beetle free,and have matined its line open mated for the past 15 or so years (yet some how only has a sample size of 4 )
    graft, sell your queens, if as promised and you will be a millionaire in 2-3 years
    Last edited by msl; 06-04-2017 at 11:20 PM.