Queen Cells?? Photo's

Question Queen Cells?? Photo's

New to the Bee scene. Bought two 5 frame nucs from a local supplier. Installed them on May 9th. Went to check on them this evening. I knew I was going to need to add another brood box and was checking to see if it was time. One hive is ready. The second hive may have been ready last week when I checked. They have 8 of the 10 deep frames full, 1 is 3/4 full and the 10th one they are just starting to draw comb on. The questions! I have posted pictures, all pictures are of the same frame. In the upper corner it appears they are building Queen supersedure cells. There were 5 of them, I pulled one off and it sure appeared to be a queen larvae. There are four more of the same. I didn't see a Queen but then again I didn't really look for her either. I am looking for confirmation that I am in fact seeing supersedure cells. My plan is to head out tomorrow morning and put the frame with the supersedure cells on it in a nuc that I had prepared for just such a situation, along with a frame of Nectar/Honey and raise another colony. Should I find the old queen and remove her, and leave one supersedure cell in the oriinal hive? Or leave the old Queen and let the nuc sort out the supersedure cells. It looks as though there aren't much for brood on this frame, though there is brood on other frames. The nucs I bought have black plastic foundation and it appears most of the brood is being laid in the new comb on the new frames. Just looking for some assurance that I am thinking right here.

Thanks for any help you folks can give me.IMG_1257.JPGIMG_1260.JPGIMG_1263.JPG

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queen Cells?? Photo's

t started. Good luck.

Those are drone, Queen cells hang down!

Volare71.... t started??

Pic one looks like queen cells.

No queen cells.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

My vote's for drone cells. I'm not super-impressed by the brood pattern elsewhere on those frames.

Me either. This was one of the original frames from the nucs I bought. They have black plastic foundation and most of the brood is being laid in the newly drawn out comb in the new foundationless frames. I think I am going to work on removing these old plastic foundations. Doesn't appear as they care for them much. Same thing is going on in my other hive. Minus the Drone/Queen cells. I pulled one off and the larvae in it just looked way to big to be a drone. I drones are bigger than the workers, but I don't think they are as big as a queen are they?

I don't see any queen cells!

Drones.Cells are pointing to the sides not down.Was a little confusing till you see the frame was sideways.

Sorry about that, the pictures rotated when I uploaded them to the thread

Drone cells are crammed wherever they can put them since they are one foundation and nowhere else to put them. That seems to be why the drone cells are so pronounced like they are. It sure looks to me like the frame is full of wet brood around the leftover capped cells. I don't see anything wrong with the plastic foundation frame. Looks good, use it.

I may be wrong, but looks to me that the frame you are showing is to the edge of the box and they are filling in the cells with nectar after the brood emerges. Let me guess, you put new frames in the center and the old ones outside. They drew out the new frames in the middle and the queen started laying in them. Then the older outside frames after hatching started to be filled with pollen and nectar (food on the outside, brood in the center), thus preventing the queen from laying there. Am I correct that this frame is like maybe in the next to outer position?

The pictures open correctly, regardless one can easily tell the orientation of the frame and the DRONE cells are horizontal on the frame in your picture, whereas queen cells would be vertical or look like gravity had taken over and they drooped towards the ground. Scrape the propolis off the outer frame so that you can keep them snug together, scrape the drone section off the frame so they will fix it and keep the frames snug tight together to minimize funky comb. The propolis between the frame's spacer (forget the actual name of that) probably kept the frames apart, giving them enough space to draw comb between the two frames.

I would add another box on top as it appears they need more space to store nectar.

If I am wrong about it's position and it's in the center, then definitely add another box to give them room.

I will add another box in the morning. The frame in the picture actually came from the dead center of the hive. There were five frames on one side of it and 4 on the other. When I installed the nucs I placed the 5 nuc frames in the middle and the new frames on the outside of those. I will scrape all the comb and propolis off the frames, as you are correct, they don't fit snuggly together. Seems to be the common thought that these are drone cells. I know there are other drone cells on other frames but they are in normal orientation it's just that they stick out of the comb more than the worker brood. I truly believe that the erratic pattern on these frames is due to that fact that they are choosing the newly drawn comb on the foundationless frames that I put in with the plastic nuc frames that I bought. The bees in my other hive have actually been stripping the wax off of one of the frames that has plastic foundation and using it to build comb on the new frames. I have one plastic frame that is void of all comb in the center of the frame. They have stripped it down to the bare plastic on one side.

Once they get some comb built in the second brood box I am going to work on checker boarding the plastic frames and get them out of the hives.
    Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the help. I am going with the drone theory as that is what most everyone is saying they are. I just thought they looked way to big to be drones. Refer to my reply to NorthMaine as to the reason I am not wild about the plastic foundation.

You said you saw brood on other frames, did you see eggs?

I did, but I don't recall if it was in that hive or my other hive. I am going back out this morning to add a deep to each of my hives. I am going to do some maintenance and I will take a closer look then.

Update: Was out this morning and added a deep box to each hive. I am convinced that these are drone cells now. I found a teecup on the bottom of the same frame. It is empty so I will keep an eye on that one since I now have a nuc ready to go. Brandon1107, I did find eggs and the queen on the frame next to the one I posted pictures of yesterday. I also saw some drones, I didn't realize they were as big as the queen. Knisely, I am posting a picture of a frame that was two frames over from the frame picures I posted yesterday. Brood looks much better on this one. I was concerned about pin holes in the center of the cells that are in my first picture, so I poked a stick in a couple of them today to see what I came out with. They have honey it them. Thank you all for helping me out here. I now know a little better what I am looking at. I have wanted to do this all my life and finally decided to go for it. I am 52 yrs old and I am having a ton of fun with this, what a learning experience. Plus I like the looks I get from people when I tell them I have bee's. Most tilt there head and look at me like I am off my rocker. But they start right in with the questions. Love it!IMG_1266.JPG

Good deal, sounds like all is well with them.