Hive Behavior

Thread: Hive Behavior

Default Hive Behavior

Two hives, both doing well, verified eggs, larva and capped brood, two 10 medium brood boxes each, with the bottom one's @2/3 full. Moved a single "starter" frame with some small comb (doing foundationless) into the upper box when I added it a little over a week ago. Both have steady waves coming and going with foragers. I have screened bottom boards, and often lay under the elevated hives to watch. I have noticed that sometimes, as a whole, the bees will "shiver" as a group for just a few seconds, then stop. They are scurrying about, then all the sudden that shiver will happen. Its not the waggle dance, and seems to "light up" the whole lower cluster. Anyone know what this kid of behavior is?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hive Behavior

Maybe they are generating heat to save their babies from the draft you unnaturally engineered into their home.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Maybe they are generating heat to save their babies from the draft you unnaturally engineered into their home.
    Ditto

I bet it's timed exactly with a breeze blowing in. Next time you are in the hive inspecting, blow gently on a frame of bees and see if they aren't doing the exact same thing.

The neighbors think I am nuts for sitting so close to the hives to watch the bees, I can just imagine if they saw me with my head underneath the hive. :-)

Try closing up your screened bottom board. You can use duct tape while you are underneath the hive. Hollow trees don't have screened bottom boards.

While I will not question the wisdom of closing up a screened bottom board, I believe many hollow trees have an updraft due to holes throughout the tree and through the root crown. If you have ever seen a hollow tree on fire, you would know what I mean. They can be like a chimney, blasting flames through the top like a propane torch. J

Yes, you are evil for trying the screen bottom board ... I still have some in use too.
    I would put the block off arrangement in place if were you, my bees get confused & try to enter the hive from below. I do not know about the shiver...
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

the wild bees in Africa will shiver to alert the hive of intruders and to frighten them off

Wow, anti-SBB sentiment is strong here. Whenever someone mentions that they use SBB, a group pops up to point fingers and go "It's a witch! Burn it!"

Is this group think or is there some solid evidence-based reasoning to support the opinion?
    The bees know!
    AKA Wormtounge

No group thought. Just a pack of wolfs. I used them for 3 years with no problems

Personal experience here ...
    I made several sbb when I started, some over a "drawer space" for an oil tray. I have a "door" board to keep the bees from getting into the oil & dying. I get sloppy/ lazy & discontinue the oil trays. The door falls out, & now I have a bunch of bees under there trying to get in. I am unwilling to unstack the hive to clear them out & replace the door(so it can fall out again).
    On another occasion, another hive, freshly mated queen can't find her way into the hive is stuck under the screen. Workers find her & draw comb under the screen. I inspect from the top, no queen , no eggs, times up, I combine worth a queen right hive, & figure out what has happened as I am cleaning the "unusual burr comb" out of the sbb. Very frustrating.
    Some write that they over winter better over a screen, , at least one runs a screen over a solid to monitor hive debris for pests , evidence of treatment results.
    If I were really wonderful, I would run screen over solid too, but reality is ... when I need a bottom board, I tack some 3/4 square stock to a piece of osb & call it good. (The osb seldom lasts 2 seasons, but I get it free from packing crates at work).
    Make your own decisions, try your own experiments, & decide for yourself whether the earth is round, or flat.
    Good luck! ... CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.