Beekeeping consulting / advice / questions businesses?

Default Beekeeping consulting / advice / questions businesses?

Does anyone know of an on-the-spot by phone or web chat beekeeping answers type business. Generally I can post questions and wait for an answer but if there's something weird going on and I want an expert opinion is there some company or person that offers a right-this-minute consultation/answer service?

If not is that something anyone thinks could be set up by some of the more experienced folks? Set up a web chat and send an invoice via PayPal for the consultation time?

Thanks,
    Erik

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Beekeeping consulting / advice / questions businesses?

Zone 7a. 14 horizontal hives, 6 langstroth

When I took his introductory class he mentioned answering questions over the phone for free. He now offers this mentorship, so I don't know if he got too busy or just realized he can make money answering questions.
    http://www.honeybeesonline.com/beekeeping-mentor/

A "professional" merely means they're getting paid for services rendered. It doesn't necessarily mean the services are of quality. I've dealt with a few "professional" consultants in my earlier years in a different profession that bring up the adage "Those who can do, those who can't consult." You're already at the best location for what you're looking for. It's the internet so take it with a grain of salt but the information you're looking for is here, you may have to look for it a little.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Do you have a local club? Or at least one located regionally? Just ensure you know where the person is keeping their bees and that they know where you are (but it doesn't mean they will understand the location issues). I run a bee supply store and answer questions/provide guidance to beekeepers in our region but would not feel comfortable outside of a three hour range (and that covers a wide range of terrain features, elevations, and weather craziness).

Bottom line: stay local for guidance.

Uh, find a mentor and you've posted into a fantastic source of bee wisdowm.

I kind of don't like the tone of your post. You want to transfer responsibility for your hives to someone else in exchange for $$. If you do what you're told and it doesn't work, you want legal recourse? Also, IME, ask two Beek's one question and expect seven answers from each-different! Irony is, most of the answers are correct when different variables are factored in which they can't realistically do over the phone or out of the internet, you're standing in your yard, they aren't. I think most folks who keep bees have taken all the good advice, read books, spent time on the internet, read a lot of posts here, factored in their environment, budget, goals, made mistakes and learned, and evolved how they keep bees. I know I do some things differently from my mentor, I'm a hobbyist with four hives, he's a third generation Beek with three yards and around 50 hives. He's cut back as he's in his 70's. I've learned a tremendous amount from him, but he's also picked up some ideas from me.

If you're doing this as a hobby, hobbies are supposed to be fun. Relax, observe your bees, see someting you don't understand, ask here or on another forum, keep learning. It's like something I read once about people new to cooking who get all upset trying to follow very complex recipes, "give yourself permission to fail," after that, you'll start getting the proper perspective. Beekeeping is not an exact science, colonies do fail, mistakes do happen, what's critical is that you don't fail, you keep learning and evolving your skills. Lose a colony, have a swarm you think you could have avoided, it happens, find out why and don't do that again.

Good luck,

long lane honey bees Dave Burns $20 a month you have access to his phone and email and he sends video clips out to your email Any questions that i sent to him got a reply very quick

Wasn't it Ann Landers or Dear Abby who said that a consultant was someone who charged you to borrow your watch to tell you the time? However, they weren't responsible if your watch wasn't set properly.

I'll vouch for David burns at long lane honey bee farm. I haven't used his mentorship program but have purchased from them. He's a very stand up guy. He has videos posted online if you search for him just to judge for yourself.

You need to understand that in the bee world everything changes so fast. Not everybody can answer your specific bee
    questions in a timely manner. Then one has to work the night and the other the day shift. What I'm saying is you need to
    find the time to explore and be experienced in beekeeping. I have no mentor only bee source here when I started. Design my own
    little bee experiment without killing them entirely to learn from them. Because beekeeping is both local and a hands on experience you
    have to just do it in order to learn from your own mistakes. I made so many mistakes in order to learn what not to do from now on.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?