After a week, the bees grew comb where I didn't want it and I removed it.

Question After a week, the bees grew comb where I didn't want it and I removed it.

I just got my first package of bees a week ago and installed them in my box-hive. In order to do so I took out four frames from the top box. Today I went for my first inspection and found they had made their comb in the empty space attached to the inner lid. Without thinking too much about it, I removed the comb and replaced the missing frames. I took the comb away from the hive, washed it off, and put it in my shed.

I realize now that I probably should have asked someone before I did this. I feel as if I may have hurt my hive significantly by doing this. If someone could tell me if I did the right thing or not, it would be greatly appreciated.

Comb.jpg Open.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: After a week, the bees grew comb where I didn't want it and I removed it.

It set them back a few days, but they should get over it. You learned a good lesson, don't ever leave frames out of a hive.

Default Re: After a week, the bees grew comb where I didn't want it and I removed it.

Removing the comb was the right thing to do and you learned that bees will always fill up empty space if you leave it for them.
    Owner of Honey Hound Farm. www.honeyhoundfarm.com

If people haven't seen my other thread, they absconded the next day.