Split activity...unfamiliar territory

Default Split activity...unfamiliar territory

I am currently monitoring a split I did last week. It has 4 frames of brood along with nurse bees. I added a queen a few days ago. I will check her status this weekend.

My question is about the lack of activity at the enterance. I can hear the bees in there. I have a pollen patty and a frame feeder with syrup.

By lack of activity I mean I might see a couple guard bees at the entrance and maybe 3-4 at best at a time when I would expect quite a few. I'm telling myself this lack of activity is due to the fact most if not all bees in the hive are nurse bees and with food in the hive they may just need to come out right now.

Does this seem like a logical conclusion?
    4a

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Split activity...unfamiliar territory

Yes. The foragers will go to the original hive so all you have are the nurse bees. They will start flying in few weeks.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm

Be sure you reduced the entrance size on the split too. Less work for the guards.

Some one has to feed the brood as brood emerges older nurse bees will get there flight clearance and you will have foragers thus more activity at the gate