Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Question About Commercial Process

4K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  johng 
#1 ·
Thank you for your time in viewing and/or answering this question.

What is standard practice in commercial beekeeping in regards to selling my honey to a bottler or wholesaler - Do I harvest my honey and deliver to the company buying it in the form of raw harvested honey in buckets or a storage device? Do I give them my supers with frames, they uncap onsite, extract then return my frames?

I assume the former is true, at it makes sense, however that means all commercial beeks have to have their own uncapping machines and extractors?

What is this process of taking my full supers and selling the honey to a company?

Im missing this piece of the puzzle and will very much appreciate any explanation that can help me with the spirit of my questions.

Thank you.

#2 ·
there is no set answer to this. some buy extracted honey, bottled, plastic 5 gallons or barrels. some get their honey extracted by someone else then sell it wholesale or retail. some may then sell it to the one extracting it, this would not be common. most extract their own. as the quantities get bigger [tractor trailer load] the buyer is more likely to arrange shipping and lab tests if required.

#5 ·
To a bottler they will pick it up by the semi load in 55 gal drums. You can sell it to bakeries in 5 gal buckets or maybe 1 drum at a time. Sometimes smaller bottlers will buy a few drums at a time too. If you're just starting out don't worry about the bottler. bottle it yourself and sell it to your friends and locals. You likely won't have enough hives to fill a truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.