Vails for keeps that wear glasses

Default Vails for keeps that wear glasses

Hello all,

My wife tended to our hive last night, while wearing a vail she said that with her glasses it was difficult to see through it. I am thinking she was into it a little later in the day, but I am wondering if there is a vail/bee suit that seems to have better visibility for someone that wears glasses. Anybody have any thoughts or past experiences with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Vails for keeps that wear glasses

It sure would be nice if someone made a veil with a window in front of my face. No one does that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    It sure would be nice if someone made a veil with a window in front of my face. No one does that I'm aware of.
    I had hoped to find one also but no luck. There is a thread here discussing this from a few years ago and one fellow rigged one up using, I believe, a welding helmet sheild. I would think a wood turners sheil would be all you would need.

I read years ago where someone did it by stitching in a 9mil piece of clear tarp material. I've never done it myself yet, so far I'm able to manage good enough.

I like the idea of a wood turners shield, just an idea here, but all that would done is cut the size out of a vail to match the shield, now this part will time consuming but drill tiny holes on the edge of the shield the whole way around and use a heavy fishing line to sew it in. I think I would leave the head adjustment part on the shield and if I disliked it take it off later. Just a thought....

I like to wear 2.5 X readig glasses to see the wet brood and eggs. The glasses will focus on the veil material and my vision is obscured by the pattern of the veil mesh. Oh, it's great getting old!

Quote Originally Posted by volare71 View Post
    I like to wear 2.5 X readig glasses to see the wet brood and eggs. The glasses will focus on the veil material and my vision is obscured by the pattern of the veil mesh. Oh, it's great getting old!
    Beats the alternative!!

I bought a replacer shield for a face shield you use when grinding. Laid in inside the Vail and put a bead of clear epoxu glue through the mesh onto the shield about 1/2" inside the edge of the plastic sheild. after it dried i used a razor blade to cut the mesh just inside the glue bead and removed it. It's a little heavier now but no more focusing on the mesh with my glasses.

An Alexander with a baseball cap under it works good for me

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...448-Clear-veil
    Humble assistant to beek Alison as well as family purveyor of luxury Bee condominiums and Paparazzi activities...

Metal mesh veil is easier to see through with glasses than plastic mesh due to the much smaller size. The plastic mesh also seems to glare more which also causes visibility issues for me.

This product works great you can hold it six inches in front of your veil see eggs no problem. It has a light so you can take it in the dark to graft.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dad always said " Smart like tractor, strong like bull "

Lenses with Crizal anti-glare treatment are helpful, but quite pricey. I find that if I pull the veil slightly inward at the level of my chin that I can see more easily. My next iteration of veil design will have a smaller lower circle than the upper one and a tapered cone of veiling in front to see if that improves things. My favorite jacket has a relatively small diameter round veil to use as a starting point. And I noticed that a fencing-style veil seemed better than a round one for this, but it has other defecits, IMO.

I have yet to find a really good veil fabric, even the so-called non-glare stuff has an unhelpful glint to it in low light. I mended some veils that belonged to my mentor from his Sheriff suits. They, at least have actual woven veiling so you can gently shift the mesh back into place. Sheriff advertises their veiling as being special but I couldn't see anything particularly novel about it when I was working on them.

But most veiling you can buy it just heat-seared to make the holes.

I think that if one was persistent one might be able to locate some woven real silk veiling which would be the best of all. I keep hunting for it, but so far, no luck. I think custom milliners in large cities might be sources.

Enj

I find pushing the veil back towards my eyes helps get it out of focus and it interferes less.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF