Anyone Check for Mite Biting? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Anyone Check for Mite Biting?

Hey Beepro, do you ever check for mite biting?
    This is Nordak`s mite biting thread, and I think we should talk about mite biting here.

How about some picts of bitten mites?
    We are the mite biting bee trait enthusiasts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Right now I don't see that many free running mites in my hives at each hatch cycle. Somehow
    the bees got rid of those already. There are still a small amount of mites inside the mite bee bomb nuc hive.
    I'm saving to see if I can find some mite biting there later on when the newly bought resistant queens got their
    broods going. There are plenty of new eggs laid already so next month at hatch time we will see. It is sad to see
    the mites going away. If I don't see any biting mites then somehow the resistant mechanism is working inside my hives. I
    will try to find some mites with bitten legs to show when possible in the future. Wish me luck!
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

And what kind of resistant mechanism would that be?

hygienic behavior?
    suppressed mite reproduction?
    mite biting?

You got me there. I really cannot find out because the mite population is hard to
    find inside the hive now. Since I use allogrooming and vsh bees before with the open
    mated local queens I grafted, these will be a big part in making the resistant bees here. The new
    queens I just bought the sellers claimed that they can withstand the mites. I really do not know if they
    are the mite biting bees or other special resistant characteristics they have against the mites. I would say they
    are the vsh since most of the bees sold have a high hygienic trait built in. I was just as happy to find compatible
    bees with some resistant ability that the sellers claimed as the waiting list is really long. The bee lab also use Italians vsh bees for
    the I.I. process to produce these queens initially. Then the queens are shipped to various queen producers for further evaluation and propagation using the I.I. process. If they are the mite biting bees then I will find out from putting the infected bees and cap broods from the mite bee bomb nuc hive although the mite level in there is getting lower everyday now. How to carry out this biting experiment later on I cannot decide at this moment if no more mites to find. Time will tell if they have this traits or not. If they do then I will put it under a scope to post some pics with the legs bitten off. And if they do not then I will get some biting/mauling queens too since they are compatible bees with mine though not as peach looking yellow color. When my I.I. gadget is done I can mixed these mite fighting bees to see the 3 different traits all working together.
    Last edited by beepro; 06-18-2017 at 04:49 AM.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Beepro be careful what you bring in brought in some supposed 12 year tf stock. They were dead by mid August and the queens were installed around June 1st. I was pretty disappointed. Was terrible to watch the PMS and dwv but was too late to save them. Haven't had such susceptible bees in years never thought to check them early on. Adding drones from such stock can be a little set back.

hi clayton. i'm guessing you are pretty much finished up for the year and your hives are set for wintering.

how was your 2017 season?
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

SP season was decent. Gotta pull feeders soon just finishing up. Trying out new wintering config with bees in a deep and shallow arrangement. Decided to breed carniolan stock exclusively. Just really like carnies these days. Think I got my bear issues under control this year too.

Hi Clayton, did you ever check for mite biting?

Do you do alcohol washes now deciding which to treat and which to select from or have you just started all over by treating all for the time being?
    How many treatments do they need?The one OAV in winter time?

As I told you in the pm it would be great to have another one posting here who chose the IPM path to be tf or tf again.

Why do you like the carniolans? What´s different to other races?
    I hope you are patient with all my questions
    Sibylle

did you ever check for mite biting?
    Not as of yet. But in the plans at some point. To me biting/ mauling is better than hygienic or vsh trait. These seem to deal with mites after they've done there thing, biting kills them at all times.

Do you do alcohol washes now deciding which to treat and which to select from or have you just started all over by treating all for the time being?
    Last year only treated a few hives. This year treated all hives 2 applications of oav. No alcohol wash this year just treated them. I may have given up Lusby's methods of TF, but by no means have I given up TF altogether. I don't mess with my bees when its cold. My only concern at that point is food stores and mouse protection. I won't be wrapping hives either.

great to have another one posting here who chose the IPM path to be tf or tf again.
    Will try my best. As of a year ago my wife and I own and operate a deli which takes up like 100 hrs a week. I'm free to work bees on Mondays these days. I get to work on graft and nuc making days just barely. Gotta be 2 months ahead of bees at all times with plans. I do beesource on my downtime at work which is why I more quite these days. Plus the older I get, year after year with bees I realize I don't know half as much as when I was a newbie

Why do you like the carniolans?
    A few different reasons. I like darker type bees. They winter on very little stores which is why I plan on going with a deep and shallow lang box. They explode at the right time for my area and don't jump the gun. The make the nicest white comb honey of all the bees I have tried. Most new beekeepers here run Italian bees when I see lots of yellow bees poping up in sub families of my new queens I have to wonder if my TF efforts have been compromised with allot of out side drones. So color will play some part in queen selection of course performance will always win but proper carnie traits will be looked at vs eat themselves to death traits. Winter is no joke here and only bees that can make it will be allowed so no pampering. I would chose buckfast as a runner up but like I said carnies have always been my favorite.

Many thanks for answering and good luck to you.
    This is very interesting.

As for mite biting this is how I plan to proceed. In June / July when both bee and mite populations both should be high: test colonies using plastic trays with waxed paper. Place trays in colonies for 2 hr duration. Work bee yard as needed during this time avoiding smoke use. Do this for one day a week over three week span. Identify colonies colonies that have zero biting going on. Move these to a different yard. If very few biters might be easier to move those to a new yard do what works for you. From among the biting colonies keep good records on production. Choose breeders from the best biters and producers. Mark these colonies and give them the winter test. See which have good spring clusters. So here are 4 points:

1. Biting
    2. Production
    3. Can winter
    4. Strong spring clusters

Don't be afraid to treat until biting trait can be breed for and intensified. This is a rough plan on how to get the ball rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Huestis View Post
    As for mite biting this is how I plan to proceed. In June / July when both bee and mite populations both should be high: test colonies using plastic trays with waxed paper. Place trays in colonies for 2 hr duration. Work bee yard as needed during this time avoiding smoke use. Do this for one day a week over three week span. Identify colonies colonies that have zero biting going on. Move these to a different yard. If very few biters might be easier to move those to a new yard do what works for you. From among the biting colonies keep good records on production. Choose breeders from the best biters and producers. Mark these colonies and give them the winter test. See which have good spring clusters. So here are 4 points:

1. Biting
    2. Production
    3. Can winter
    4. Strong spring clusters

Don't be afraid to treat until biting trait can be breed for and intensified. This is a rough plan on how to get the ball rolling.
    Why no smoke? Does it stop grooming?
    Brood increase or honey production? or both?

If you treat will it stop the behavior because the bees are disturbed? ( Maybe not if you treat in winter brood brake).

Smoke interferes with bees behavior. We only have a 2 hr window for the test. Want to keep there behavior as natural as possible, yet bee work needs to get done in a working apiary also.

Season 1 main goal is to separate biters from non-biters. We can't expect the biting trait to be good enough to survive TF at this point. Just find the best colonies with biting traits. The best we have to work with from our existing stocks. If no such bees exist in our apiary we need to bring such stock in if the trait isn't there. Next year we graft from the best and re-queen the non biter colonies that we moved away. Of course we requeen any colony that needs it and cull poor performers as normal since we are a working apiary. Treating is to keep alive colonies that show the trait we want but are not expressing it yet at a level to be TF. After a few season we should see some good progress on biters and pull the plug on treatments so that reality will put proper pressure on the bees to survive. At some point we can add vsh blood to compliment the trait. Or possible select bees with some virus resistance or nosema resistance or what ever the need is. At all times trying to maintain a working apiary.

Wasn´t there someone who said you need 100-1000 hives for that selection ( randy?)

Still, this is attractive and the monitoring I will do for sure.

excellent post clay. looking forward to hearing about your experience, many thanks for keeping us posted.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

nordak, we haven't hear much from you lately. hope all is well with you and yours.

If a statement like that stops you then you never get anything done. Just remember working apiary that produces honey, bees, queens, wax, propolis, ect. You start with what you have and work your way up. You have to know what your dealing with your own bees before you can go forward. For example if none of them bite how can you breed biters? Got to be grounded in reality and make sure you have what is needed.

You never know what your 10+ - hives will tell you. You´re exactly right Clayton, who knows what´s going on without looking for it.

Squarepeg,
    Jeff ( nordak) visits college and has no time for posting just now, I believe. I try to keep contact with him through mail.
    I hope he will post again in forums because his opinions and knowledge is of high value to me.
    He is well.

We could keep alive this thread. The mite biting trait seems to much much better than the VSH, which fights the symptoms only.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    nordak, we haven't hear much from you lately. hope all is well with you and yours.
    Hey SP,

I'm still around. Lost a couple of hives to SHB earlier this year from not having time to inspect like I should. They failed to requeen and I didn't get to them in time. Very swarmy year here due to my not staying on top of things. Going into Winter with 7 hives and 4 nucs. I'm pretty pleased with that having given/sold a number of bees and queens this year. As always, time and equipment will be the challenge for 2018. I made a number of observations especially in terms of SHB defensive behavior that I witnessed this year and will be focusing attention on rearing queens from those hives next year. Hope you are well!
    Season 5. TF.

excellent jeff! yes all is very well here. it was a perfect year for nectar with another record (for me) honey harvest. many thanks for the update.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast