feeding during dearth

Default feeding during dearth

I installed a package at the end of April on drawn comb with a few frames of honey. As the flow slows in PA, can I put more frames of honey in the hive to feed them instead of sugar water? If so, where should I place them? I have one deep and one medium (8 frame) on now. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: feeding during dearth

Why one deep and one medium. What configuration are you planning? By the time the flow ends they should be in double deeps with ample stores.

This is my second year of beekeeping. The instructor of the class I took recommended one deep and then mediums. Am I doing it wrong?

I would stick to deeps, when you start mixing mediums and deeps for brood it will limit how you can move frames around.

Sad Re: feeding during dearth

I'm finding that out For now I guess I have to stick with what I have, but what you're saying makes sense. I have honey on medium frames, so is there any place in particular in the box I should put them? Toward outside, inside, or doesn't it matter?

Bees will usually keep full frames of capped on on the outter edges of the brood boxes.

As mentioned above, Bees will normally maintain their honey/food stores on the outer frames. If you decide to feed capped honey frames with mediums or deeps start by replacing the outer edged frames with honey. Depending on how much you do have, you could always add a second deep and checker board your frames from the your #1 deep.
    Id recommend harvesting the capped honey you do have and feeding a 1:1 ratio of suger syrup throughout the dearth with hopes of building numbers and food stores for youre upcoming fall/winter.

There's endless suggestions,

Personally were it me I would set up for the double deeps right now. If my memory serves Tamaqua is about 3.5 hours east of me and nearly the same latitude. But still on the Allegheny plateau. with locust just starting and starting heavily, bass wood looks to be good this year as does the poplar. Knot weed took a hit with the cold snap. but that does not bloom until much later. You still have a good while before the dearth arrives, and we on the plateau rarely see a true dearth. There is generally something for the bees to forage on. If the medium has no brood init I would place it above a deep and let the bees fill the deep. It will give your hive a good foundation for winter. I have kept bees in Pa. for many years and the double deep configuration is the best method for our climate. IMHO

[QUOTE] I'd recommend harvesting the capped honey you do have and feeding a 1:1 ratio of suger syrup throughout the dearth with hopes of building numbers and food stores for your upcoming fall/winter.QUOTE]

Is it more beneficial for the bees to feed sugar water rather than honey?

You'll need two deeps, three mediums, or one deep and two mediums for the brood chamber. The last configuration only makes sense as a transition step when transitioning a previously all medium hive to one using deeps.
    Zone 6B

Of course its beneficial to let bees feed on their own honey stores rather than sugar syrup. It's the end result that youre looking for that may dictate honey over syrup. It's even possible to feed back their honey and also feed sugar syrup throughout. As this this differ from beekeeper to location.