What to make of this

Default What to make of this

Found a big fat queen bee and about 20 nurse bees in front of one of my hives that I created a month ago by taking some frames of capped larva from another hive and installing a queen I bought.

Did they kick the queen out I just installed. She was big and fat and on the ground so I don't think she can fly and she was too big to be a virgin queen I believe. I think it must be the one I installed a month ago. I did look a couple of weeks ago and she was laying then.

I took this queen and the few bees with here and put them in a hive that I also tried to do a split with earlier but that had died out and only had a few bees left in it. I don't think there are enough bees in the hive for them to survive. Can I shake some bees from a good hive in with her or steal a frame of capped brood from another hive with some nurse bees to bolster the population? Any ideas appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What to make of this

Why not look inside and see what's going on...?

On a couple of side notes - virgin queens can be pretty darn big when they emerge and is it possible that there were some cells started when you created the nuc? I ask because a few years back I intro'd mated queens and when checking back 7-10 days later there were queen cells and the laying queen there. I've always wondered what would happen if I didn't cut them out. Part of me wonders if they'd treat it like a supercedure and once the emerged queen gets mated and starts laying maybe they'd give the boot to the old one.

there were no cells started when I created the nuc. I had to run to a daughters track banquet and didn't have time to look inside. I will tomorrow. I'm horrible at finding queens though but I will be able to tell if there are any hatched cells or not cause I cleaned that out and there were none when I made the nuc.

Quote Originally Posted by blamb61 View Post
    I took this queen and the few bees with here and put them in a hive that I also tried to do a split with earlier but that had died out and only had a few bees left in it. I don't think there are enough bees in the hive for them to survive. Can I shake some bees from a good hive in with her or steal a frame of capped brood from another hive with some nurse bees to bolster the population?
    This would depend what the hive that has nearly died out died from. If it was say, varroa mites, and the few bees left in it are crawling with them, then adding more bees will be a bad investment unless you solve the varroa mites.
    If they died of say, starvation, then yes, add more bees, long as the starving problem is also put right.
    "Thinking Inside The Box"

The hive in question died in Jan or so. I took some brood from another hive and put them in this dead hive and also a queen I purchased. They died cause I didn't have enough bees in there and it got really cold the week after I put them all in. There are now just a few straglers left. That is the hive I put this queen in I found on the ground. There are not enough bees in there to keep her going I'm sure so I'm considering taking some more brood out of a good hive and put in there. I'm afraid they might kill her though. If nothing else, hopefully they will raise a new queen. I'm getting some brood ready now to put in there. I pulled some frames out and put them in the top box with a queen excluder under it (I saw the queen for that hive on another frame so I know I will be leaving her in the old hive). I will wait tell tomorrow when they are covered with nurse bees and then put them in the hive with the queen I found on the ground. They will either run with that queen or make a new one I hope.