Stings

Thread: Stings

Default Stings

I got stung 4 times today inspecting the hive after a hard rain and noticing some dead bees outside afterwards. My fault.. but are there any suggestions? I can hardly move my left wrist and my right knee.. what works for y'all? And how long does the stiffness last? My last sting was not nearly like these.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Stings

All stings have different reactions... for me the worst have been stings close to the bone like wrist, ankle, knee and jaw. Any sting in the fatty tissue seems to be minor. Benadryl and ice

Quote Originally Posted by Adreahill View Post
    I got stung 4 times today inspecting the hive after a hard rain and noticing some dead bees outside afterwards. My fault.. but are there any suggestions? I can hardly move my left wrist and my right knee.. what works for y'all? And how long does the stiffness last? My last sting was not nearly like these.
    I just always wear my ultrabreeze and don't get stung in the first place

If I put vinegar immediately on a sting, it won't swell. If I don't, it will stay swollen for about 5 days. Ice, benedryl and preparation all help with the swelling.

Benadryl. They also make scream for itching. Next time try a bee suit.

Quick action when you get stung will help a lot. Keep something such as a credit card or a dull kitchen knife or whatever with you all the time (the ladies will usually have longer finger nails and that will work also). When you get stung immediately scrape the stinger off. The poison is in the little sac on the end so if you get the stinger out before the poison has a chance to go into the skin the sting won't be nearly as bad.
    Be careful though and don't try to grab the stinger with your fingers and pull it out cause if you squeeze the stinger you'll only push the poison into the skin. Scraping the stinger off is the key

I never knew about vinegar stopping the swelling, I am in the same boat as OP, when stung I am swollen for 3-5 days and itching mad even with benadryl. My children have been stung and you wouldn't know it after 10 minutes.

I ended up buying mann lakes vented suit and havnt looked back, of course till they entered in my veil through the back side.

This helps me a little:
    http://bradbkr.tripod.com/

For itching cortaid seems to work better.

I've read that calamine lotion is good (haven't tried it myself)

Ice is also supposed to be good.

Multiple stings in one season seems to have helped me recover more quickly, too.
    Never argue with drunks or crazy people!
    Life Lessons with Dogs, Bees, and Others

first, scratch out (don't pinch) the stinger asap. 2nd apply your favorite topical remedy(ies). Any of the above work, as do others, such as hand sanitizer. The alcohol helps prevent infection. Ruth mentioned Preparation H, for reduces swelling and itching. Don't laugh, it works. so does Vagisil.

If you want to go a more natural route, several botanicals are called "bee balm". The monarda group are popular and can be attractive garden plants. Personally, I use plantain, even though it is considered a weed, I allow a few to grow in my garden for just this purpose. Plantain is effective and I like it.
    http://www.growingupherbal.com/stop-...with-plantain/

Woodbridge, VA (But planning to move to NW Louisiana soon)

I was told to crush up a dandelion flower and smear it on the sting. I haven't had the misfortune to try this yet...