Recently purchased Nuc colony 3 weeks in making queens cells on new frame.

Question Recently purchased Nuc colony 3 weeks in making queens cells on new frame.

Recently installed a 5 frame NUC. Been feeding it, did see a queen, haven't done much else with it.

Have had the NUC about 3 weeks. Yesterday I opened the hive to check on it and pulled out some of the new frames I installed after getting the hive. When I pulled 1 of the frames out I noticed 2 queen cells. 1 of them was completely closed and the other was being built or the queen had already been released from that cell as it had a large hole at the end where the queen would be released.

I did see the queen about 10 days previous to this and did not see any queen cells as far as I remember.

What is going on here?

Any thoughts ideas or things to look for or do?

Very new to all this. Any help be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Recently purchased Nuc colony 3 weeks in making queens cells on new frame.

Let me begin by welcoming you!
    Are you sure they are queen cells. What does the brood within the hive look like. Ie: spotty, good, little? Are they still in the Nuc. Or have you transferred them to a hive? If still in a nuc how crowded is it? When I sell a nuc it is ready to be installed into a full size hive. If it is not done within a reasonable time frame, It is all but sure they will swarm.

Then again it is possible you damaged or killed your queen while doing an inspection and the bees are in the midst of an emergence supersedure.

There are countless possibilities, Can you give us some specifics on the hive?

Default Re: Recently purchased Nuc colony 3 weeks in making queens cells on new frame.

Thank you for the welcome!

I transferred the 5 frame Nuc into a box with 5 new frames about 2 days after I received them. The queen cells are being made on the new frames.

I did not check the rest of the frames when I last looked yesterday. Though when I transferred the Nuc I did see capped brood etc. With that everything looked good as far as I could tell.

As I mentioned before I did see the queen and carefully put the frame back in. I don't believe I damaged or killed it.

I could in the next day open the hive and get a pic or two if this would help.

If they are not queen cells what else could they be?

Thanks!

It could be queen cells being made from the stress of moving a hive. I did a cut out 5 weeks ago and the first thing they did was replace the queen.

Many Beginners mistake drone cells as queen cells. A nuc should be a completely functioning hive in miniature with brood in all stages. You said capped cell. Bees often build standby or practice queen cells. But if they capped it. That would not be a standby cell.

The more info Pics included the easier it is to determine the situation.

Off topic. How long have you lived in Kenton? My lady is from Kenton!

Ill try to get a picture or two to help out in next day or two.

I have lived in this area my whole life. We have a grain farm in this area. We use to have dairy cattle until about 12 years ago.