BeeThinking out of business, morphing into BeeBuild.com - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: BeeThinking going out of business

Seems their new name is awfully close to the name of an already pre-existing bee products company

https://beebuilt.com/

http://beebuild.com.au/
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I'm confused. How can they BOTH (BeeThinking & BeeBuild) be "the world's first beekeeping supplier specializing in foundationless Top Bar Hives, Warre hives, and Langstroth Hives made from sustainably-harvested wood"?

Obviously a typo.
    Last edited by rildin; 08-02-2017 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Clarification.

Guys, I bought my first hive from BeeThinking 2 years ago. (This is my 3rd season.)

The joints are warped beyond belief (basically creating 2 additional lower bee entrances in bottom brood box. The box frames are warped so that they don't sit properly on each other, which encourages the bees to propolis the areas. It's become a nightmare. It may just turn into firewood. It's like $400 down the drain.

Btw, yes, I followed all assembly instructions and put Tite Bond III glue on all joints.

PepperBeeMan, i feel your pain. Our Lang top covers only lasted a year. They all have to be replaced before winter this year.

It will be interesting to watch a bankrupt company who has cheated folks by not filling paid orders, resurrect itself in an almost identical entity with only a new name.

Sustainable lumber often means 2nd growth. It is to young and pithy to be used in thin strips for telescoping covers. Especially when only treated as recommended by this supplier, with "feel good organic" tung oil.
    Last edited by odfrank; 08-04-2017 at 09:49 PM.

Interesting. I had a very good experience with my first TBHs from them, but then suddenly all the ones I'd get would warp in weird ways. Perhaps they were pushing to hard and not using properly seasoned wood?

Granted, I have had this happen with hives from other places too.

Also, don't you dare knock feel good organic tung oil. I use it for absolutely everything, bee hives, knife handles, axe handles, stopping bleeding, sauce for my eggs in the morning, everything.
    Last edited by friendlywithbears; 08-04-2017 at 03:40 PM.

What's worse is that I bought the "premium cedar." 1 deep, 3 meds. 2 of the meds are warped. The deep looks like somebody took a hammer to it for a week.

I coated them with oil quite liberally several times before giving to the bees. It's just a shame.

Saw them on Shark Tank begging for money. They should have stuck to warre and top bar and capitalized on their customer. I bought their story.

For now, I will build my own stuff or buy from Mann Lake. They've been great.

I just picked up the last TBH kit my local bee rescue had on hand. I was and still am sad to see them go belly up as I liked their top bar hives. Not being much on the stacked boxes, I have a weakened condition, I am attracted to top bars. After searching hi and low for TBHs this summer I was excited to find the Bee Thinking TBH. Only to have the website soon list it as out of stock. I guess I'm lucky I didn't raise the funds soon enough to order one before they closed.

I'm still glad I was able to get one of their hives but would now like to find their plans so I can build my own to match all my parts. I also really liked the simplicity of the hive tool they sold, trying to make my own like it has been a bugger as it's been a few decades since I held a torch

I for one look forward to the "New" company offering the same TBH gear that I almost bought in vane...

Seems the "new" company has the same hives,pictures, and the old website redirects you to the new one etc. The pictures still have the Beethinking logo...lol wow, just wow! I would be extremely pissed if they owed me money...
    Quality Top Bar Hives and Accessories
    http://www.organicbeehives.com/

Default Re: BeeThinking out of business, morphing into BeeBuild.com

Everything I ever received from BeeThinking was improperly cut. Box joints needed to be sanded or chiseled, wood was warped, roofs leaked.
    Did the Flow Hive deal hurt? Hell yes it did. BeeThinking made a pitch to produce the woodenware, got awarded a contract for 65,000 orders and subsequently delivered sub-par craftsmanship to folks that paid a pretty penny for that Western red cedar. The returns and complaints were huge and I assume they had to eat those replacement costs. BeeThinking was CONSTANTLY on the Flow forums apologizing for the poor craftsmanship BTW. The Flow folks likely dissolved that relationship as soon as possible. In fact, none if their woodenware has been BeeThinking sourced for some time now.
    Do I blame Flow? Heck no. Their only mistake was buying the pitch the manufacturer made.

T-Minus and 2 weeks and counting for the New Beebuilt!Unless they have an extremely rich Uncle to float them it will never succeed, the damage has been done. Speaking of the flow hive and iits concept like any hobby that has a large consumer base there will always be the ones selling snake oil-automotive, electronics, sports, and ect. I loved it and got a laugh out of it when a hobbyist Beekeeper on youtube(628dirtrooster) came up with his own version of the flow hive-fresh comb honey from a cutout crushed in his hand over his Wifes pancakes!

I would pay good money to have 628dirtrooster crush comb honey in his hand over my pancakes.

Duplicate

Announcements are easy. It is September. I want to see it really happen.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

I just saw this on FB. Apparently a guy named Ed Shearer liked Bee Thinking, acquired all the assets during the foreclosure and asked Matt and Jill to come work for him to make BeeBuild a success.

What about the money that was taken(stolen)from their customers and the CC Companies??? Did Ed Shearer liked those that were taken because of Matt and Jill?

A Note From Our Owner, Ed Shearer

I acquired product designs, mill assets, and intellectual properties during the foreclosure sale of Bee Thinking, LLC in June of 2017. I had briefly worked with Matt Reed and Jill McKenna, the owners of Bee Thinking prior to Bee Thinking shutting down. I was very impressed with Bee Thinking's designs, web site, quality products, sustainability values, and terrific, knowledgeable customers.

I was also impressed with Matt and Jill. Their inexhaustible concern for bees, nature, natural beekeeping, and their commitment to crafting the best hives available, continues to stand out against the incredible losses they have experienced. When the opportunity came up to purchase these assets, I asked Matt and Jill to come work for me to build Bee Built. I believe that with my years of small business experience and their passion for natural beekeeping and hive design and production, we can build a solid, sustainable and successful company for our customers, employees and community.

- Ed Shearer, Owner

From the website... Sounds like their problems have been solved. I wish the new owner/owners luck. I wonder why he changed the name if he bought all the rights etc. as stated
    Last edited by crabbcatjohn; 09-05-2017 at 07:00 PM.
    Quality Top Bar Hives and Accessories
    http://www.organicbeehives.com/

A Note From A Former Customer, Tom Kmet

Sounds like a sales pitch, I unsubscribed from the website and I was not impressed with their inexhaustible concern with customers and quality products.

- Tom Kmet, Frustrated and Dissatisfied Customer
    Last edited by tckmet; 09-05-2017 at 07:18 PM.

I do wish them all the best.

However, I'm confused. He can only say good things about them and the business. And their efforts and business left countless customers out to dry.

Here is my question. What will be DIFFERENT? Same people, same products, same methods, and yet he expects different results? And starting this time with customers with a bitter taste in their mouths?

I think I said this earlier. I saw Bee Thinking people at a trade show 2 years ago. They had nice products, but when I asked (and I asked multiple ways) why were their hives better than 2 other vendors at the same show which were $50 cheaper, all I got were dumb looks and nonsense answers. Competition matters.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast