BeeThinking out of business, morphing into BeeBuild.com - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 93
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Penobscot County, ME, USA
    Posts
    1,206

    Default Re: BeeThinking going out of business

    I don't think you're wrong. A bank's primary fiduciary responsibilities are to the depositors and stockholders. Acting contrary to those responsibilities could be considered malfeasance.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Waukesha, WI USA
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: BeeThinking going out of business

    It is May 23, 2017 at noon CDT.
    I find it despicable that even as of the past few minutes the phone number at Bee Thinking (877-325-2221) answers with,

    "Hello Bee Thinkers.
    Due to peak volume all of our wonderful agents are currently on the line.
    We are able to respond to most inquiries in 36 - 48 hours..."
    and it goes on with more blather about how the sky is blue, blah, blah, blah. How much they like us, blah, blah, blah.

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: BeeThinking going out of business

    It would take well under 5 mins to change their site that alerted their visitors to the situation. As far as I am aware, they have only announced this on a very locally-focused Facebook group (Portland Urban Beekeepers) and their own Facebook page. On their own Facebook page, the explanation was buried as a comment to one particular post - the vast majority of folks visiting their Facebook page would never see that, especially since they continue to advertise upcoming events.

    If the web page takes 10 mins to update, posting an update to their Facebook page is less than one minute (especially when they have already logged on to reply to a comment anyway!). I believe they are intentionally trying to keep this as quiet as possible, in case they make a "comeback".

    I called Bee Thinking numerous times over the last year or so. Not ONCE did I ever get anyone pick up the phone - ever! I would guess I called 10-15 times in that year, wanting to ask about various things. I feel kinda silly now. They were always "busy focusing on customers at this busy time of year". Uh huh...

    A company that has 50 people but can't be bothered to have even one of them pick up the phone is not a company that cares about its customers.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Waukesha, WI USA
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: BeeThinking going out of business

    Quote Originally Posted by CliveW View Post
    It would take well under 5 mins to change their site that alerted their visitors to the situation. As far as I am aware, they have only announced this on a very locally-focused Facebook group (Portland Urban Beekeepers) and their own Facebook page. On their own Facebook page, the explanation was buried as a comment to one particular post - the vast majority of folks visiting their Facebook page would never see that, especially since they continue to advertise upcoming events.

    If the web page takes 10 mins to update, posting an update to their Facebook page is less than one minute (especially when they have already logged on to reply to a comment anyway!). I believe they are intentionally trying to keep this as quiet as possible, in case they make a "comeback".

    I called Bee Thinking numerous times over the last year or so. Not ONCE did I ever get anyone pick up the phone - ever! I would guess I called 10-15 times in that year, wanting to ask about various things. I feel kinda silly now. They were always "busy focusing on customers at this busy time of year". Uh huh...

    A company that has 50 people but can't be bothered to have even one of them pick up the phone is not a company that cares about its customers.

    Clive, that is very kind of you to suggest a "comeback." From my experience, there isn't a chance in God's creation that they will experience a comeback. Before I knew the (full) situation (48 hours ago when I knew definitively), I wrote to Emily Parker there (of course long gone by now), explaining that their lack of contact/lack of availability indicated a business that was "overextended, under capitalized, or had chosen to abandon the wooden ware part of their business in favor of something perceived as more profitable."

    It would seem they are most interested in posting to Instagram, FB, and the like, meaningless pictures of bees and flowers and tidbit of "facts" about bees. And basically just plain old promoting themselves rather than producing product and caring for customers. They should become hobby beekeepers and post images to Instagram with their "wisdom" which always seems to lack scientific backing.

    I won't use this blog post to discuss the merits or lack thereof of TBHs, but I will say that the ONLY reason I purchased that style equipment was to be able to continue as a hobby beekeeper after two back surgeries (the second one a fusion L4-L5-S1). TBHs, nor bees housed in them, in NO WAY appear to be superior to Langstroth equipment, and certainly not based on any scientific evidence I have seen. But yes my back thanks me. I did decide to go foundation-less, but added three more sides in hopes combs wouldn't be flopping all over the place when the frames were manipulated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #25
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Worcester, MA
    Posts
    202

    Default Re: BeeThinking going out of business

    I ordered 2 Warre hives from them 2 years ago. The millwork was nice and I appreciated the cedar because I didn't need to paint. The copper roof was a nice touch. I really liked the top bar design with the guides. The bees only drew comb from the bars and no burr comb anywhere else. Pretty cool.

    That being said, something about the company always seemed off. There was always something delayed or wrong or missing. And it got worse as time progressed. Oh well, there are other places to buy hives and components for people like me who have no woodwork skills.

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: BeeThinking going out of business

    Cg03026, those framed top bars are FANTASTIC! You do beautiful work, and i'm very glad you've found a way to take care of your back AND your bees ...

    As for Bee Thinking, there's more i could add, but it would just be grist for the mill at this point. Suffice to say that if they DID somehow manage to reconstitute themselves, it makes no difference. I would never buy or order anything from them ever again. They've lost me. For good.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: BeeThinking going out of business

    Can I ask what a "framed top bar" is? Is this basically a full frame (with foundation) that will go into a Top Bar (if so, it could be "foundationed top bar", I guess ). EDIT: Sorry - was rushing and just saw what you mean by "framed top bar". Now, I'm curious - why doesn't everyone do this?

    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I, somewhat fortunately, ordered through PerfectBee, rather than directly with Bee Thinking (well, it wasn't like Bee Thinking really gave me the chance to buy off them, having never returned any calls!!). I have been very happy with PerfectBee because they communicate really well (often within minutes of reaching out). I guess they lost their supply for Warre and Top Bar hives when Bee Thinking went away but I just noticed they have a new Top Bar available now (wasn't there last week).

    I use Langstroth but have been considering a Top Bar, for many of the same reasons as cg03026 (that back thing!). I may take a look at this one since it seems well-built: https://store.perfectbee.com/collect...s/top-bar-hive, though a little pricey.

    Then again, I guess we're getting off topic! How / why did Top Bar come into this thread?
    Last edited by CliveW; 05-23-2017 at 07:49 PM.

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Isle of Wight, VA
    Posts
    2,763

    Default Re: BeeThinking going out of business

    The topbar hives you all are looking at are way too expensive in my opinion. Sure, cedar is nice, but is it worth an extra $150 bucks? I get my topbar hive kits from Beeline apiary out of MI, shipped to me for $150 total. Love everything about them, and I add my own window, although they now have one with a window in half the hive.

    CliveW, if you are still wanting to use frames in your hive, look into a long langstroth. The management from a true topbar hive where the bars form the top of the hive differs just a bit from a Long Lang where there are still gaps between bars (and requires an inner cover in 3 sections). But making full 4 sided frames for a trapezoid shape topbar hive just doesn't make sense to me. Might as well get the full rectangle shape and do the long lang, foundationless if you'd like. (your frames ARE beautiful, cg03026)

    My topbar hive are easier on my back and all my sore joints, but there is definitely less honey (but more bees) so it's all a matter of why you want to keep the bees as to the box shape that you put them in.

  10. #29
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Benton, Ky
    Posts
    106

    Default Re: BeeThinking going out of business

    I guess you get what you pay for. Personally i've bought things over and over again over the years trying to save money doing a fixer upper. So, like you Ruthie, i used to buy something cheap and work on it to make it better. I've found in my old age and to many unfinished projects that its better to just go ahead and spend a few dollars extra and buy something i don't have to work on...lol Thats why my hives are finished, ready for bees when you get them... As for Bee Thinking, over the past few years they have had lots of problems getting their products to their customers. Last year they were also few months behind. They were telling people their mill was behind in getting parts made.I know because they were referring their customers to me when peoples bees were coming in and they were still weeks off from getting parts to finish customers orders. I find it appalling that when you ordered a hive from them that only after you paid you were notified a few days later shipping time was few months... On my website i reflect current production/shipping times right on the front page. That way their is no let down and when you call, i personally answer the phone...
    You have to give them one thing. They had a heck of a advertising budget and had the best website money could buy. John
    Quality Top Bar Hives and Accessories
    http://www.organicbeehives.com/

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Isle of Wight, VA
    Posts
    2,763

    Default Re: BeeThinking going out of business

    Quote Originally Posted by crabbcatjohn View Post
    I guess you get what you pay for. Personally i've bought things over and over again over the years trying to save money doing a fixer upper. So, like you Ruthie, i used to buy something cheap and work on it to make it better.
    The kits I buy are in no way "cheap", and the first one I bought is going on 4 years with no signs of decay. Pine hives, just like yours, John. I do like to paint them festive colors so they become "garden art". It has a gabled metal roof, 19" topbars with anchored comb guides, screened bottom floor with slide out IPM board. I only choose to add the windows myself because I can do it for less than $10. Assembly on the kit is minimal, as in 18 screws for the hive and 4 nails for the roof. These are a nice way to ease into beekeeping. If someone wants to convert over to Langstroth equipment, the bars slip right in there, although most people that I help get started, love their topbar hives and stick with that kind of beekeeping.

  12. #31
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Benton, Ky
    Posts
    106

    Default Re: BeeThinking going out of business

    I have to apologize Ruth, my GF always criticizes me for using the word Cheap when I should say inexpensive. My bad, forgive me please. To clarify when i say you get what you pay for in this case i meant they offer an unfinished project which i'm good with. I have no problem with their product. Better value than Dadant in my opinion. I know you promote their product on the web so you must really like them. I did want to thank you for what you do on the top bar hive forums. I see you are always quick to help those in need of advice or console them when they loose their bees which is also the way i was mentored. John
    Quality Top Bar Hives and Accessories
    http://www.organicbeehives.com/

  13. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Waukesha, WI USA
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: BeeThinking going out of business

    Quote Originally Posted by ruthiesbees View Post
    The topbar hives you all are looking at are way too expensive in my opinion. Sure, cedar is nice, but is it worth an extra $150 bucks? I get my topbar hive kits from Beeline apiary out of MI, shipped to me for $150 total. Love everything about them, and I add my own window, although they now have one with a window in half the hive.

    CliveW, if you are still wanting to use frames in your hive, look into a long langstroth. The management from a true topbar hive where the bars form the top of the hive differs just a bit from a Long Lang where there are still gaps between bars (and requires an inner cover in 3 sections). But making full 4 sided frames for a trapezoid shape topbar hive just doesn't make sense to me. Might as well get the full rectangle shape and do the long lang, foundationless if you'd like. (your frames ARE beautiful, cg03026)

    My topbar hive are easier on my back and all my sore joints, but there is definitely less honey (but more bees) so it's all a matter of why you want to keep the bees as to the box shape that you put them in.
    I agree with you about why bother with all the extra effort of crafting cuts on a 32 degree or whatever angle, etc., instead of a convenient 90 degrees. I only made the decision AFTER I made the decision to get the top bars and AFTER realizing that even in videos I've seen cautioning about the comb falling off, it fell off in the training video, or came loose at least and had to be "mushed" back in place. At 90 degrees inside the hive, when won't the comb be likely to sag.

    So far, first year with TBH I find the issue with the comb being unattached on the sides and the bottom to be most cumbersome, so I moved forward and built the trapezoid sided frames. Had fun doing it at least. Sorry to pollute the thread. I started it because it was Bee Thinking that I bought the TBHs from and since parts are not universal, it makes it especially inconvenient when the vendor you chose in the beginning goes out of business.

  14. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Isle of Wight, VA
    Posts
    2,763

    Default Re: BeeThinking going out of business

    Thanks for clarifying your earlier post, crabbcatjohn.

  15. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Crivitz, WI
    Posts
    477

    Default Re: BeeThinking going out of business

    And to think that I felt a little guilty selling a TBH for 150.00. If you wish to pay those prices, by all means this is a free country. At 399.00 a pop, on sale, you quickly pay for a table saw and any other needed tools!

  16. #35
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    6,771

    Default Re: BeeThinking is holding out for an answer from their bank

    I told my friend with a Bee Thinking topbar hive that it is now a collectors item. Does anyone have a super or hive with those fancy CNC triangular joints they would sell me for my collection? The website is still open but every item says sold out.

  17. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: BeeThinking is holding out for an answer from their bank

    Bummer, I had been planning to buy a bunch more top bars and some more warre boxes from them. Kind of a pain when you've got hives from them with their custom dimensions.

  18. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookville, PA
    Posts
    332

    Default Re: BeeThinking going out of business

    Quote Originally Posted by cg03026 View Post
    It is May 23, 2017 at noon CDT.
    I find it despicable that even as of the past few minutes the phone number at Bee Thinking (877-325-2221) answers with,

    "Hello Bee Thinkers.
    Due to peak volume all of our wonderful agents are currently on the line.
    We are able to respond to most inquiries in 36 - 48 hours..."
    and it goes on with more blather about how the sky is blue, blah, blah, blah. How much they like us, blah, blah, blah.
    I guess it would be a bit hard for them to go in and answer their phone (or change their message) when chances are the bank has changed the locks and they are not permitted to enter!

    After looking at their website and looking at the pictures of the owners and employees - it's not too hard to figure out how they got into the mess they are in.

    Their website is a "feel good . . . . we care about the environment . . . . . " Much like the Flowhive hype.

    They are millennials - and nothing bad will ever happen in the mind of a millennial.

  19. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Penobscot County, ME, USA
    Posts
    1,206

    Default Re: BeeThinking going out of business

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwest PA Beekeeper View Post
    I guess it would be a bit hard for them to go in and answer their phone (or change their message) when chances are the bank has changed the locks and they are not permitted to enter!
    I've worked with a number of PBX systems over the years, and all of the ones I've worked with incorporated a facility to manage them remotely by dialing in and entering an access code that allows one to change messages and mailbox features.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

  20. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    North Missouri, USA
    Posts
    129

    Default "Bee Thinking" company problems

    I ordered a hive from Bee Thinking (base board, inner cover, roof, two 8-frame hive bodies with windows in the side). I choose them because I love the windows, they are well designed and use responsibly sourced wood. However, they sent me 10-frame bodies and 8-frame everything else and I have been trying to get a hold of them for over a month now to get the right parts to turn it into an 8-frame hive.

    Now their website is off-line. Has anyone had any experience with the company or know any inside info as to what is going on?

  21. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Rib Lake WI
    Posts
    1,705

    Default Re: "Bee Thinking" company problems

    Yes they are bankrupt. There is another post here somewhere about it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •