Varroa Detection/Counting App

Default Varroa Detection/Counting App

Hello all,

I am a beekeeper in the south of germany and monitor the Varroa Destructor mite population of my hives via a hive bottom board. This year I decided to develop an Android APP (called "Varroa Detektor") that supports this activity. The idea is to just take a photo of the board which the APP analysis to automatically count the fallen mites. The analysis results are stored and thus it is possible to get a chart which shows the mite population of each of your hives over time. With this information you can then decide when to start the Varroa treatment of your bees. I thought this APP might be also interessting for other beekeeper so I put it in the Android App store (free of charge). I also created a short video to demonstrate the usage of Varroa Detektor.

I know that there are already some APPs out there that are able to do similar things but for me programming is fun and this project allowed me to combine both beekeeping and programming. To further improve the APP I thought it would be good to ask as many beekeepers as possible. So, if such an APP could be helpful for you just let me know all the features you would like to see in such an APP. Of course it would be also great if you could test the APP in real beekeeper life and pass me your feedback.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Varroa Detection/Counting App

I don't use sticky boards. So that limits its effectiveness for me.
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

I can't find it on the Play store. I did click on the link, that goes to the "German play store" I guess. Is the app all in German?

Nice app Forbee. However there is already a project to develop an app that will detect mites from a photo of bees on a comb, the mites are very hard to pick just by eye, but the app highlights them on the bees.

Is this project something to do with you?
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

I added an english translation. So, now the APP is available in english and german. Unfortunately I forgot to release it for "non german speaking" countries. This is now changed and I hope tomorrow it will be available in the US as well. Sorry for that.

I know there are many beekeepers who do not use sticky boards and thus cannot use the APP. To support them one way would be to analyse direct pictures of the bees and detect the mites on them. I have already seen Kickstarter projects which wanted to offer such functionality. For me that's currently out of scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Nice app Forbee. However there is already a project to develop an app that will detect mites from a photo of bees on a comb, the mites are very hard to pick just by eye, but the app highlights them on the bees.

Is this project something to do with you?
    Do you know the name of the project? Would be interesting for me. I've seen a project on Kickstarter called "BeeScanning" which seemed to be very interesting. If it really works one day it would be great. Currently I am not in touch with any other project. My App is currently just a personal project.

Yes it's BeeScanning http://beescanning.com/eng/

I really hope either them, you, or both, succeed, it would be a great tool!

I'd give it a try if there was an iphone version.
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    I'd give it a try if there was an iphone version.
    Unfortunately I currently just have the Android APP and no time to publish an Apple version. Sorry for that.
    But if there are programmers out there who want to do it please contact me. Also if there are programmers who are interested in programming some improvements just let me know.
    Perhaps one day it will become an open source project.

Iphone? Some people still have those?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Iphone? Some people still have those?
    Don't laugh, I still use daily an Ipad from 2010. I'm get'n my money's worth! :-)
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

Like your attitude Shinbone.

My newly single friend who is busy trying to meet a new partner complained to me that the women he meets in bars check what sort of phone he has, and judge him on that. My response to him was it's a good filter, those women are not worth wasting his time on anyway.

This showed up in my news feed on Facebook today. It's a link to the Kickstarter campaign to get the BeeScanning app in the hands of beekeepers. Interesting information. Looks like they've already met their first stage goal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...f=thanks_share
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...