Best Way to Combine Large Queenless Hive with Small Nuc - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Best Way to Combine Large Queenless Hive with Small Nuc

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Garber View Post
    If I do a newspaper combine, do the top and bottom both need entrances or is one entrance at the top ok?
    A couple of years ago I read where one of the bee gurus (sorry, don't remember who) said newspaper was a waste of time.

Coincidentally, a week later I was doing a combine and realized I had left out a frame. I took the top box off after only about 10 minutes.

Bees had already chewed through the paper in 3 places and were mixing.

Since then I just put one box on top of the other. Seems to work just as well. You might see some fighting and a few dead workers but it's been minimal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTalk View Post
    They can, and do. Laying workers aren't uncommon, and hives just clean up after them.

Ratnieks, F. L. (1993). Egg-laying, egg-removal, and ovary development by workers in queenright honey bee colonies. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology, 32(3), 191-198.

When people talk about a "laying worker hive", they're talking about a hive that has hundreds(or thousands) of workers laying.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by GarfieldBeek View Post
    A couple of years ago I read where one of the bee gurus (sorry, don't remember who) said newspaper was a waste of time.

Coincidentally, a week later I was doing a combine and realized I had left out a frame. I took the top box off after only about 10 minutes.

Bees had already chewed through the paper in 3 places and were mixing.

Since then I just put one box on top of the other. Seems to work just as well. You might see some fighting and a few dead workers but it's been minimal.
    I had seen that suggested recently on here myself. I tried that with a couple of boxes a couple of weeks ago. Lost both queens. I think the paper is to limit their interaction to start with. I've had pretty good luck with it. I've figured out to use what works for me. It seems different things work for different people. Good luck to the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Billboard View Post
    Thank you
    Not sure what quest your on Billboard, but, for all practical purposes all that seems to be beside the point. Could you answer all my previous questions?

Quote Originally Posted by dlbrightjr View Post
    Not sure what quest your on Billboard, but, for all practical purposes all that seems to be beside the point. Could you answer all my previous questions?
    Not up to anything. Just said thanks. If you want answers start a thread. Maybe ill throw my two cents in.

Quote Originally Posted by Billboard View Post
    Not up to anything. Just said thanks. If you want answers start a thread. Maybe ill throw my two cents in.
    No problem. I thought you might know something of use to me regarding combining with screens and laying workers. Thanks anyway.

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...es-with-screen

A good thread with more viewpoints.

Thanks Saltybee. I'll have to try that next time. I appreciate the link.

It is April 2019. I have a large 2 deep hive that came out of winter Queenless and a small 2-3 frame Queenright Nuc. There are definitely no eggs, larvae or capped Brood. This hive is hopelessly Queenless. No Queens are available to buy as of yet where I live. I have not tried this and am looking for input. I am thinking about trying the newspaper method but a little differently. With the newspaper method it usually takes anywhere from a day to a couple before the 2 colonies are joined. I would think the foragers from the Nuc would fly back to their original hive in that short amount of time. I am not sure how long the large colony has been Queenless but I do not see any eggs from laying workers.
    It's a risk on whether the hive will accept a mated Queen. I'm thinking of closing in the Queenright Nuc for about 3 days and on the 4th day putting them above the Large colony via newspaper method. That way I might have very few if any foragers flying back to the original hive. At the same time ( maybe) I will put the Queen from the Nuc in a Queen cage and put her below with the Queenless Bees. Then after a couple of days see how the bees are reacting to the Queen. Any thoughts, suggestions etc?

With one queen extra caution is worth it.
    As Astro says place a open brood comb in the large hive to verify queenless and stop them from going laying workers. At the same time move a frame in to the nuc. Most will probably flyback but not all. Either double stack your nuc or put it into a regular hive body.

Still sticking with the advice of post 6, though the newspaper is overkill unless doing full hives. A frame or two at a time is no problem.

No worries about the fielded bees, they will join in. No need to close in either hive.

Newspaper will all be on the ground by the next day, if you do that, they do it fast.

You can deal frames of bees like cards. You got this.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Thanks for the info, here is more info that may make my situation clearer. I have 6 hives. 3 of the 6 are Queenless but have many bees. I also have one Nuc and 2 active hives. Out of the 2 active hives I have one that is doing very well and one where the Queen is laying but not to full potential. I am keeping an eye on her. In other words I only have one hive I can take a frames from to share with the other hives and no one has Queens or Queen cells here in Washington State yet My resources for taking frames are limited. I narrowed it down to the Nuc because I was curious if doing what I mentioned about adding the Nuc to the large Queenless hive and putting the Queen in a cage was something anyone else has done or if it is something worth messing with. I plan to transfer frames and combine the other hives. I have been waiting a little longer until we have some Drones flying. I have that figured out but for now I am interested in the Nuc. It has been unseasonably cold here and I don't want my Bees making Queen cells and the Queen missing the opportunity to mate because of our crummy weather. I have a couple of weeks to work with. I have already put Queen temp in so that will buy me some time. I have used Queen temp in the past and it has worked for me.

3 out of 6 is a little strange. How are the stores in those?

Inserting an empty comb in the active hive's brood nest for a few days to get some comb to transfer is not going to impact the donor at all.
    If it was me, it would be worth the time, see what the receiver does with it..

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    3 out of 6 is a little strange. How are the stores in those?

Inserting an empty comb in the active hive's brood nest for a few days to get some comb to transfer is not going to impact the donor at all.
    If it was me, it would be worth the time, see what the receiver does with it..

Good plan with inserting some empty comb. I will do that. I think I have been on tunnel vision mode. Don't know why that didn't dawn on me. I was focused on taking away frames instead of adding. Dur!

As far as the 3 out of six being Queenless it isn't strange at all where I live. Many people have lost many hives over this crummy winter we had. I'm talking large amounts of bees. All my Queens I lost were 2nd year Queens but were still doing. well. I did all my Varroa treatments on time and everything. Thanks again. Linda
    Last edited by Lady Devana; 04-15-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Remember if they do start cells it will be harder to introduce a queen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12