Vertical split with Queen Excluder: 0 for 2 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Vertical split with Queen Excluder: 0 for 2

Ray
    The way you connect the dots for doolittle makes it tempting and who knows. I might try it. I really like What lauri calls the fly back split where you just find the queen, put her in a box and place it where the hive is sitting and move the origional hive and almost all the stores. It will not accomplish creating a cell builder but I am thinking the old hive that was moved should make a couple of extra queen cells that I can steel for more splits. What I liked about this split is that all the foragers end up with the queen and since they are foragers, you don't have to feed them as much and the old hive has all the stores and no new brood and so I may not have to feed them as much. That is the theory anyway. I can't think of a use with only eight hives to need to have a cell builder for more then one round of queens cause I don't have enough bees to use that many queens.

However, they way you explain it being so easy and the way I wake up in a new day and all of a sudden just do something, it might be what you explaind that gets done rather then what I thought I was going to do. Either way, I am glad you put it in writeing, cause you made it very simple to understand.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    I would love to take the credit, but alas, it's from Doolittle, late 1800's or very early 1900. It only makes a few cells, in a superceder type environment. Doolittle didn't separate the boxes at the first setup, I made that change.
    I'm pleased to see you draw attention to Doolittle Ray. A timeless resource.
    Many would be well served to read and understand his work instead of most of the modern day beekeeping junk out there.

Hoping you are well and have a good year with your bees.

gww
    Yes a fly back split does very well also, very good way to make splits. The main hive moved away will draw many good cells and can be split up into 2 or more nucs with frames of built out queen cells if increase is desired.

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    I'm pleased to see you draw attention to Doolittle Ray. A timeless resource. Many would be well served to read and understand his work instead of most of the modern day beekeeping junk out there...
    I can not agree more. Some don't care for his writing style, but I always enjoyed reading him very much.

Ray
    I can not agree more. Some don't care for his writing style, but I always enjoyed reading him very much.
    I loved reading doolittle and miller and langstroth and abby warre. As for as the writing styles. If you are new and learning terms modern day, it takes a few reads when you run into things like "I swarmed the hive" It does come together but also does take some practice and a few times through maybe even backed up with questions about it on a forum like this. It is neat that you find little things like where the queen is in the middle of the day or other little odd facts that I forget most of. It gets your brain thinking of how things work.

It also show that even though some things are put in a new light, things are also really the same in a lot of ways after all these years. Some things are just right no matter when they happen when pertaining to bees. However, your explination is pretty clear for modern day bee keepers.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I've only used a Snelgrove board (double screened board). I've had 100% success with them so far.

Ray is right - old queen on top with little brood - just frames - she will continue to lay up top while the bottom will think its queenless and start cells.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12