Green Drone Frames

Default Green Drone Frames

I asked this in someone else's thread about these frames and didn't get a response. For those who use the green drone frames, what do you do to ready them for re-installation?
    Last season I would take them out of the freezer, let them thaw for a day and hit them with a hose to uncap and wash out the brood and mites. I found this to be very messy and I don't have any chickens to clean it up. I tried doing it over my pond, but the trout don't seem interested in taking care of this either.
    It would be easy to just pop them back intact and frozen, but I am pretty sure that would not be good to introduce a frozen frame into the hive. Plus its added work for the bees to clean it up and I rather have them doing something else. I can only think of these options:
    1. Put the frames back in frozen.
    2. Let the frame thaw and put it back in. (how long to thaw before it gets nasty?)
    3. Continue with hose method
    4. Manually scrape the brood out.
    5. Scrape the caps off, leave brood in.

Recommendations? Option I didn't think of? Thanks, J

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Green Drone Frames

I remove the combs from the freezer, use a wire brush to remove the cappings while the comb is still frozen, allow the comb to remain in my shop while it warms, usually overnight. The next day I either add the frame to the colony and allow the bees to remove the pupa, or wash them out with a hose. How I get them removed depends on how my energy level is running and how many frames there are to do.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

Thanks AR. It would be a little less messy scraping off the cappings while still frozen. Anyone else have other ideas? Besides getting chickens. Not gonna do that!

Evening,
    After I pull the frames they will go directly into my freezer for 48 hours, I then pull them and allow 6-8 hours to thaw. Afterwards I usually use a un-capping knife to remove the capped cells and reinstall them back into my hives.(Cappings-I toss in my compost) At one point I did manage to mix it with other cappings to be melted down, it turned out well but left a mess.

To this day, I have not had any issues letting the bees do the hardwork and clean them out. They'll do a better job than I could ever do.