I asked this in someone else's thread about these frames and didn't get a response. For those who use the green drone frames, what do you do to ready them for re-installation?
Last season I would take them out of the freezer, let them thaw for a day and hit them with a hose to uncap and wash out the brood and mites. I found this to be very messy and I don't have any chickens to clean it up. I tried doing it over my pond, but the trout don't seem interested in taking care of this either.
It would be easy to just pop them back intact and frozen, but I am pretty sure that would not be good to introduce a frozen frame into the hive. Plus its added work for the bees to clean it up and I rather have them doing something else. I can only think of these options:
1. Put the frames back in frozen.
2. Let the frame thaw and put it back in. (how long to thaw before it gets nasty?)
3. Continue with hose method
4. Manually scrape the brood out.
5. Scrape the caps off, leave brood in.
Recommendations? Option I didn't think of? Thanks, J