Help me find ONE package of bees please

Default Help me find ONE package of bees please

I was buying some herbicides today at a local feed store that sells beekeeping supplies. The "official" name of my Apiary is Biddles Bees, so when I buy something they all remember that I'm a beekeeper.

So anyway, I got my chemicals and I was getting into my truck when a man about my age comes walking towards my truck. He had gone into the store to ask about buying a package of bees and they sent him my way figuring I would know.

Turns out, he, his brother and their 88 year old father were all there and the 88 year old man is wanting to get back into beekeeping. I spent an hour talking to them all. The older gentlemans eyes lit up when he found out I was a beekeeper. Since I had AFB in my hives, my apiary is quaranteened and I can't sell them any bees. If I could catch a swarm I'd give the man the swarm, but our swarm season is over.

Does ANYONE know of a place in the south to get one package of bees? None of us are guaranteed tomorrow but at the age of 88 he surely isn't guaranteed many more years. I'd love to be able to help him find a package. He knows that he will have to feed them until our mythical fall flow starts, or doesn't start which is normal.

I also talked the sons into buying him an Ultrabreeze jacket to keep him cooler, instead of him wearing his old white cotton coveralls.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Help me find ONE package of bees please

Barnyard bees put a video out today saying they have packages for sale. They are in Georgia. barnyard bees dot com. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvUdlBsKtWY

I got bees from barnyardbees today and they looked good and installed easy. I was gonna get them shipped, which they do, but drove instead. Its was 6 hrs round-trip driving really fast from Nashville.

Thanks for the info, I will pass it along. If it was a 6 hour round trip from Nashville, it must be in North GA.

Wish I could help...
    I am several miles north and west of you but if one of my swarms from this year would get him started I would let it go for a box/frame exchange if someone would split the drive with me.

They are in a mann lake nuc box for now and seem to be building nicely. Only checked in on them once and added a second deep nuc with foundation. I will probably look in on them again tomorrow to be sure the queen is laying. (Could not see eggs in the new white wax when I looked in the first time but thought with the activity that it should have been a sure thing.) By now there would be larvae large enough to see with my uncorrected eyes. I see fine at distance but the small close-up details are harder and harder to make out.

Are you very far from Zooks wooden ware? I have been planning on paying them a visit soon to see what their products look like. I understand he is in Lawrenceburg, TN which looks to be roughly half way between us.

Thanks for the generosity westTN. I sent the son I talked to the most a text about the packages. If they don't want to get a package I can meet you some time. I can always make a reason to go see Zook. He's a little over 2 hours away.

Sounds good to me... I will be starting a set of mid-night shifts Tuesday night and will work off of them the following Tuesday. If they are interested and your schedule permits the 24th 25th and 26th of this month are open dates for me. Will post more about the bees when I know more.

Keep us posted on this please, when I was at HAS in albion, a real old man had Parkinson and was shaking alot standing real close to the demo hives, and they stung me, but didn't touch him.

Its swarm season in central IL. Put an add on CL and you might have a swarm call in a couple of days. Better than a package!

Brad, Lookout Mountain Bees between Collinsville and Gadsden has packages available. They were just brought in on Friday.

Installed 2 packages today for a new week. They were from barnyard in Chatsworth GA. Both looked good and installed without a hitch.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by schmism View Post
    Its swarm season in central IL. Put an add on CL and you might have a swarm call in a couple of days. Better than a package!
    Central IL is a little far for a swarm call from Central Alabama dont you think?.

Try this guy:
    I heard he usually has queens and bees available.

http://www.fatbeeman.com/
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.