3 or 4 eggs per cell

Default 3 or 4 eggs per cell

Newbe. Caught a soccer ball size swarm about a month ago. Placed in a 5 frame nuc with just foundation and been feeding sugar water, Today they had drawn out some cells but had 3 or 4 eggs per cell randomly placed.

I install a frame of brood, eggs, larve, and nector from another hive that is still lagging. Will they raise a queen from this frame or should I take it back and buy a queen.

I am not very good at spotting queens. Is it queenless. dud virgin queen. laying worker

will a laying worker problem resolve itself?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 3 or 4 eggs per cell

Never experienced this myself, but read a lot about it. Sounds like laying workers. Many people say that it's difficult to requeen these hives, but even more difficult to get them to raise their own queen. Apparently, you have to drop in a frame of eggs, brood, etc from another hive every week for several weeks.

Laying Workers.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

I just saw a queen-right nuc this way, with a few frames of foundation. I suspect the queen didn't have enough room and laid multiple eggs in the bottom of the cells. I marked her and put in two drawn frames, so I'll see.

Bees are teaching me about the comment "the more I learn, the less I know"

If some of the eggs are attached to the sides of the cells, it's probably a laying worker.

However, I've had cases where newly mated queens start out ambitiously laying multiple eggs in cells. But those were all attached to the bottom of the cells. The workers sort it out, and after a while she will settle down and start laying a single egg per cell.
    To everything there is a season....

It does indeed sound like a LW hive. LW hives do resolve themselves - they die! Don't waste $ trying to introduce a purchased queen, they likely won't accept her. Also I wouldn't waste resources taking frames of brood from other hives in an effort to solve the LW problem. When I see LW hives I immediately shake the bees out and move on. Not worth wasting time trying to fix.

Drone laying queens ( I have only seen two ) tend to lay single eggs per cell, looks great but all drones.
    Laying workers tend to "lay a pile " of eggs per cell.
    Once, I placed the laying worker hive over a double screen board over a queen right hive for awhile, then shook the LW hive out.
    I have alsoAdded queen cells to a hive with a drone layer queen, which resulted in no moredrone eggs, but no mated queen either... Finally donated a frame of eggs & they actually made a queen cell, returned a mated, laying queen. by this time the hive had dwindled , desperately , not enough bees to cover the comb of a single . ( I swaqpped locations with a stronger hive, I really need to super that hive ... tomorrow. After 5 monthes.
    Shake them out, then after a couple of weeks split your other hive with a purchased queen.
    Good Luck ... CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.