My new Warre and busy girls - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: My new Warre and busy girls

Jc....
    Got it, looking really good then. Just shows how really slow the one I had was building up. Lost it over winter.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Just did a 21 day on my package. I had a die out this winter and had everything for this hive; drawn comb, capped honey, pollen. I'm running Carnies and she is exploding. Out side two frames in top box are now capped honey and the remainder capped brood. She was down in the 2nd box I added half open frames last week laying eggs and capped brood there as well. The girls had pulled most of the open frames so added a third box checkerboard empty and pulled frames. Add the 3ed box sooner than I wanted but being a Carnie hive got to give those gals something to do. Running robber screen and low temps only in the low 60 so with all that capped hatching soon they should be fine.

Update on how my second round with a Warre is doing.

The colony is now in four boxes. I was hoping I wouldn't need a fourth box since I originally only built three boxes when I started this experiment. This colony had other ideas.

Here's some pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JConnolly; 08-18-2018 at 07:12 PM.
    Zone 5B

I want to get out of the Warre just because it isn't compatible with my Langstroth gear. It started as a curiosity experiment. Curiosity satisfied. I think the Warre is a fine hive, but Langstroths are the standard.

I'm thinking ahead on how I might vacate the Warre. This is a really good queen and these bees are incredibly gentle. My thoughts are to winter this colony in three boxes. If it survives then in the spring I'll make a shook swarm into a Langstroth hive on new foundation. I'll take the brood topbar/frames and zip tie them inside an empty Langstroth frame. I tried it already and they just barely fit. Then I'll put one each in a Barnyard Bees style mini-mating nuc with some bees and let them raise queens. I'll harvest any left over honey and render the wax. I'm open to other suggestions on how to discontinue the Warre.
    Zone 5B

A miny mating nuc makes a poor cell builder.
    I would fly back spit in to the lang, and then once the cells are capped break in to the minys.

another thought would be to make a adapter(pice of ply the size of a lang migratory cover with a warre sized hole in the middle) to put the warre on top of a lang over an excluder and let all the brood hatch out

Good point. Getting a head of myself here. I think instead of a flyback split I'll make up a cell starter (I've already a screened in nuc for cell starters) and then a cell builder, but I can still use the Warre brood zip tied into an empty Langstrogth deep frame.
    Zone 5B

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123