My new Warre and busy girls
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My new Warre and busy girls

Two years ago I cut out all the parts for a Warre (except frames) but didn't assemble it. It's been stored flat in my shop since then. Normally I use Langstroth Hives. I wasn't sure if I really wanted to get into different equipment or not.

About two weeks ago I agreed to take two unwanted packages of bees. This created a problem in that I had gear for only one more Langstroth hive. I waffled for a week on whether to assemble the Warre instead of building another langstroth.

Sunday I put it together and built frames with triangular comb guides (my state requires frames) That was a PITA and I was wondering it if was worth the work. From now on I'm buying store bought Langstroth frames and cutting them down.

Here it is, all put together and finished.

The bees went in on Yesterday morning, but got a piece of plywood for a temporary lid as I didn't have the Warre top assembled yet. I went ahead and released the queen since I marked her and she had already been with the bees several days in the package. I finished the top this afternoon and so when I installed it I just had to take a peek. The bees have been busy. There are two frames about like this one, two more that have about half as much, and they are holding meetings and measuring on another frame (AKA hanging with legs linked and starting to build) Not bad for a day and a half. It looks like they got the right idea from triangular guides I cut on the frames, so maybe it was worth it after all. I didn't look in the bottom box yet. That comb is still pretty fragile so I didn't get very invasive.

I've got a bunch of jar feeders in that third box right now, otherwise it would be just two boxes. In a few days I'll take them off.
    Last edited by JConnolly; 05-11-2017 at 10:28 PM.
    Zone 6B

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: My new Warre and busy girls

very nice!
    Neill
    Herbhome Farm USDA zone 7a

Mine looks a lot clunkyer then yours cause I was sloppy on the cleats and put them on all four sides and it is your other thread that made me fill it with bees. I am looking forward to letting it set and see what it does. Maby next year we can compare notes with each other. I would like it if somebody gave me a couple of free hives but the best I get is swarm traps being able to be hung at all my relitives after I assure them it won't cause them to get stung. The warres do look neat don't they? Yours looks nice.
    gww
    zone 5b

GWW

I wasn't in any kind of hurry when I cut it all out. So far I have a lot of work into this Warre but not a lot of money. A $6 spray can of spar urethane. The wood came from an old water bed frame that was long gone that I planed down to 24mm thick. All the comb frames were made from a board I got for a buck fifty from the cull pile at HD. The stain was left over from years ago.

I originally planned on five boxes with windows but I decided to eliminate the windows since they were going to take a lot of time to finish, so I had to use the sides of the fifth box as solid sides for the other boxes, so I've only got four Warre boxes now. To make a fifth I'll have to buy a 2x10 and mill it to 24mm. Probably not going to do that. I can take top and bottom boards that were going to be on the window wall and make a 120mm high super that I could set up for comb honey sections like Warre had in his book on page 93. On the off chance I need more than four boxes I could throw that on. Not going to need it this year for sure though. Gonna make a feeder from a 2x4 that I've been tripping over next Sunday. It should hold about 3-1/2 quarts of syrup.

It instantly became the favorite hive of the family just because Warres look so neat. How it is to work with though is what I'll be finding out. Definitely let's compare notes on this little diversion.
    Zone 6B

I made the big feeder in warre's book. It sit a year and the wood movement made it leak but that is another story however one more paint of latex and it is back on the hive right now to give the swarm a small jump start on thier comb building.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Well, I made the feeder from that 2 x 4 I had laying around, so its only 3-1/2" high. I planed it down to 24mm thick so that it would be the same thickness as my box walls. The bottom slopes 1/2". I pretty much followed Warre's plan from the book except for the lower height, and I put a clear plexiglass cover over the bee access area. It's glued, caulked, and coated with spar urethane and it held water for 15 minutes with no leaks. I took the box with the jar feeders in it off put it on and filled it with syrup. And promptly overfilled it. Clumsy. The girls already crawling up the entrance got well candied.

For reference, a Warre feeder made from a 2 x 4 and 1/2" plywood holds just barely over 3 quarts of syrup.

Last edited by JConnolly; 05-17-2017 at 12:45 AM.
    Zone 6B

Very nice. I had to reread to see you made them out of old bed frames. I bought my first one and then made my last 2 myself. That's half the fun. Made them from cedar and tung oiled them as well as 2 "Fat bee Man" feeders. I mod them just a little with a bottom screen so I can peak in on them when I feed without screwing with them to much.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ten day update on my little venture outside of traditional Langstroth hives.

Comb building on all 8 bars. Nice and straight.

The queen. I swear that mark is fluorescent yellow, not green.

Another frame.

Zone 6B

JC

I haven't looked In mine. Nice pictures. I doubt I take any cause when I get in next I will probly get in a few others as well and am not really that organized.

I have a bad feeling that mine is in the process of getting robbed out. My feeder leaked and I thought I had ot worked out but the last pint I put in was on the ground under the hive. We had three inches of rain last night and it was ok some portion of the day today and I saw bees at the cracks where the boxes set on each other.

I have several more small splits in the yard and am feeding the new swarms and small splits and those bees are not being robbed. I have the entrance reduce pretty good and there is a flow on though the rain may have put a short term dent in it.

My swarms last year did not draw out the comb as fast as your packages are seeming to do.
    Looks great.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Update on this little Warre feeder cobbled from a 2x4. It absolutely does not drown bees. Aside from the small volume, I've been really pleased on how well it performed, so pleased that I may make one for my Langstroths where I've always used frame feeders. Monday I removed the feeder for the remainder of the season until the fall 2:1 feeding.

I have now fed the bees two batches of 1:1 syrup (2 quarts + 4lb bag of sugar) and had zero drowned bees. Not a single dead bee in the feeder. The feeder board has a slight angle cut on it on the syrup side, the bottom is 1-1/2" thick and the top is 3/4" thick, forming a steep ramp for the bees to approach the syrup. On the hive side it is straight up and down. I cut the syrup side ramp on the bandsaw and left the surface rough. The barrier board, the one between the feeding ramp and the syrup chamber, has 1/16" clearance under it between it and the feeder bottom. Syrup can run under it. Bees can't crawl through after they suck down the last of the syrup. There were tons of bees hanging out in the feeder space after the syrup reservoir was empty, but a few puffs of smoke directed at the tiny slit under the bottom of the barrier board sent them scurrying into the hive.

It has one flaw. At the front of the feeder the plexiglass doesn't quite come up flush with the feeder sides. When the quilt box is set on top it leaves a tiny gap. The little sugar ants found this gap and held a neighborhood block party.

Quote Originally Posted by JConnolly View Post
    Zone 6B

One month update on my venture into Warre beekeeping.

The hive started with two boxes. Here is the top box tipped on its side. You can see that all the bars are filled out and that the bees have finished off the comb at the bottom without a bottom bar on the frame just like Bernhard said they should. They have not built any ladder comb or burr comb on top of the top bars in the lower box or waxed the frames to the lower box. The top box was surprisingly heavy.

This next picture is the lower box tipped on its side, the one you can see the top bars of in lower part of the previous picture. They are starting to draw out the lower box now. The far left outside frame has a roughly 3x3 comb drawn. The next three frames are nearing completion and the frame five is about half drawn. Frame six has a very small comb hanging on it. The girls were holding hands and measuring on the other two top bars.

The population is strong and growing and I think this hive is about to explode. I assembled the frames for the next box and waxed the vee guides this morning because I think I'm going to be nadiring it before next Saturday.
    Last edited by JConnolly; 06-17-2017 at 08:01 PM.
    Zone 6B

Jc
    Looks great, thanks for sharing. Love the pictures.
    gww
    zone 5b

Jc
    My hive is not going to make it but this is how they are drawing comb.

warre 003.jpg

You had ask me one time and we did it about the same time but I caused mine some giant setback with robbing, and other things.
    Just thought you might like to see and I would still like to hear about yours.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Thanks for showing. Sorry to hear its not doing well.

I nadired a third box and they drew it out most of the way. I didn't harvest because I fed them heavily with syrup early on to stimulate comb production so I think the top box has a fair bit of syrup still in it. I think I'll winter them on the three boxes even though Warre's book said two boxes was enough. I\ve resisted the temptation to look inside for about a month, Warre's philosophy was that a beek can't do anything positive in the brood chamber. They are docile and happy, its been a zero sting hive all year, that's a good sign.

Sorry about all my pics. Thanks to the Photobucket idiots all my pictures are gone. May the company soon RIP alongside all the other defunct internet companies that caught the stupids.
    Zone 6B

Jc....
    I think france was like zone 8 or something and so three boxes may be right for you. It also might help next year keep your bees in your box instead of the trees. Next year when you put box four, five and six on, it will be exciting when time to take them off.
    On mine, I thought they should be dead months ago and so have not been counting them but thought you might be interested in how they are using the box with my fixed frames.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Here are some of the pictures to replace all the ones above with the broken links.

The first picture is my new Warre from the opening post.

The second picture is the feeder that I described above that I made from a scrap 2x4 with busy bees slurping down the syrup. I took this picture on the day after I installed the feeder and there was about 1/2 of the syrup left.
    Last edited by JConnolly; 09-09-2017 at 11:24 PM.
    Zone 6B

Here are some more pictures from the broken links above.

Here are the pictures from the ten day update post. Lots of new comb in the top box and they were drawing it nice and straight.
    Last edited by JConnolly; 09-09-2017 at 09:05 PM.
    Zone 6B

These are the pictures from the one month update.

This picture is the top box, same box as above, but after one month you can see how the bees have finished off the drawn comb and rounded out the bottoms just like Bernhard described without attaching it to the top bars of the box below.

D044241A-B5A2-4558-93A0-1A8E1972486C_zpsjitkctcy.jpg

This is the picture of the lower box from the one month update.

83FA6797-874D-44B0-BFFF-30E96DD11BD6_zpsjel9dnvd.jpg
    Last edited by JConnolly; 09-09-2017 at 11:26 PM.
    Zone 6B

This shows how I cut the vee profile for the top bars.

1. I started by cutting a 2x4 into 650mm long sections. You'll get 4 top bars from each piece.
    2. I tilted the blade to about 20 and cut the vee in the center in two passes, cutting a vee in each side of the board.
    3. I made straight cuts to cut the top bar to width.

The picture shows the block at this point.

SAFETY FIRST To make the next two rip cuts safely you should use a push block that has a shoe on the back (similar to this) to push all the offcut pieces all the way through the blade. You should also use a zero clearance insert for doing this.

4. Making two rips per top bar per side I first cut the waste free to finish forming the vee profile
    5. Then I ripped the top bar free.
    6. I cut the top bars to length, 340 mm.
    7. Last I cut the notch end of each bar back 15 mm to form the frame rests.

If you do this from a 2 x 4, at this point you might be tempted to try and get more top bars out of the scrap that is left. Just don't. Please don't risk your fingers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JConnolly; 09-09-2017 at 09:59 PM.
    Zone 6B

JC...
    Thanks for taking the time to repost your pictures.
    gww
    zone 5b

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast