Installed first colony, but they are huddling

Default Installed first colony, but they are huddling

Hey Y'all!

So I just got my first package bees today (any bees for that matter)!! Super excited! I have done a lot of homework and read plenty of books, so I feel like I am ready for the adventure. However... I installed the package without issue around noon today. Insured that the queen was alive and well, and plan on keeping her in her cage for 2-3 days. I have a 1/1 sugar syrup feeder on the outside of the hive, and one on the top of the inside of the hive. I have a viewing window in my hive, so I decided to check up on them around 2-3pm. They are all "huddling" or piling up on what was the sunny side of the hive this morning. Basically a giant pile of bees. I assume that they are cold and trying to keep everyone warm, and or they are not sure what to do with their new home and are staying with each other. Am I correct to assume that they will start working tomorrow after the sun warms up the hive, and they get used to the hive?

Some background info.

Langstroth hive which I built myself in feburary (actually the reason for getting the bees. I wanted to see if I could build the hive with a bunch of scrap wood... then I needed someone to fill the home. lol)

I live on the eastern shore of Maryland. Weather has been hot the last few weeks, but cooled down this week to highs of 60s and lows of 50s.

Also, I have the brood box frames full of beeswax foundations.

I have the brood box full of frames, then another medium sized box on top with about 4 frames pulled out so I could dump the bees in. Should I have just left the first brood box on with nothing else? Will leaving the frames out be a problem for a day or so?

Thank you for the help in advance!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Installed first colony, but they are huddling

Start off with one brood box. Too much room can be overwhelming to them. Take off top box. Set them like this. Bottom board, deep brood box, inner cover then put your feeders on top of the inner cover then put a mt box around the feeder and cover. Take away the feeder from the front you have. It can cause robbing. They dont know what to do theres too much room. Atleast thats how it sounds to me. Plus if its cold two empty boxes is hard to heat.

Default Re: Installed first colony, but they are huddling

Ok gotcha! That makes sense!

There are a LOT of bees in the second brood box (in their huddle/pile of course), so would it be better to wait until the hive warms up some or just go move it in the morning? I sprayed sugar water to keep them all from flying during the install. I can do that when i move the boxes too right? I know that I don't want to used the smoker with a new hive.

Thank you for your help!