Llama hair

Thread: Llama hair

Default Llama hair

My neighbor raises llamas and we live in Wyoming. The neighbors were having a moving sale and getting rid of bags of hair off of the llamas. A buyer came and bought a bag of the hair and said he is going to use it to insulate his beehive in the winter. After the neighbor told me this, I got a bag, but have no idea how to use it or if it is a good idea. Any opinions or suggestions on this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Llama hair

spin it to thread then weave a blanket? Or put it in bags that can wrap around the hives. My neighboring beekeeper just uses leaf bags of autumn leaves.

The most likely use would be in a quilt box. More on quilt boxes here:
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...your-quilt-box
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I will check that out, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hemendp View Post
    I will check that out, thanks
    did you use the lama Hair?
    I would think Wool would work as well.
    GG

I know one person who is using it in her quilt box setup. It is insulation with enough permeability to allow some air movement through it to carry off hive moisture. As mentioned, sheep wool, hemp tow, burlap, wood shavings all could serve the same function. It might have very slightly higher insulation value than some of the others. Llama fleece makes some lovely soft and warm socks and such. Not as likely to make people itch as wool might but way overkill for top insulation in a bee hive.

If you read the promotional literature for sales pitches it has next to magical properties though!
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    I know one person who is using it in her quilt box setup. It is insulation with enough permeability to allow some air movement through it to carry off hive moisture. As mentioned, sheep wool, hemp tow, burlap, wood shavings all could serve the same function. It might have very slightly higher insulation value than some of the others. Llama fleece makes some lovely soft and warm socks and such. Not as likely to make people itch as wool might but way overkill for top insulation in a bee hive.

If you read the promotional literature for sales pitches it has next to magical properties though!
    I have a neighbor with sheep. I am sure they shear in the spring, I was thinking of trying to make a hive with 2 inches of wool on the sides and 4-6 in quilt box. May spend some cycles on this idea this winter. I would think you could put the wool in the sun for a bit in July-Aug time frame to dry it out good to be used several years. My wood chips get Carpenter Ants by late June, I then dump it under the apple trees.
    GG

I have seen pictures of sheep wool above the frame (pretty sure posted by Leo Sharaskin's in some of his horizontal hive writings).
    Can not find that picture now.
    I would try the wool IF I could only find it for very cheap (not the case around here).
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.